Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Error Message: "A circular dependency was detected" won't let me do anything to my BI.

Opened my file after new update, message "Unable to execute DAX: A circular dependency was detected" message pops up, and now I can't perform any action.

I tried deleting the columns (which I don't need anymore), same message. Can't Refresh my report, delete the whole table, anything.

Seems like a Bug but I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Hi @tomaslucas1 

You mean you updated Desktop to the latest version, then opened the pbix file and got this error, right ? If you re-open it with the version before the upgrade, will it open properly ? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @tomaslucas1 

You mean you updated Desktop to the latest version, then opened the pbix file and got this error, right ? If you re-open it with the version before the upgrade, will it open properly ? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

LoreaneG
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I have the exact same issue, were you able to find a solution ? 

Thank you 

Arjay

I have the same issue. I downloaded a fresh pbix and opened it in desktop but encountered "Unable to execute DAX" error before the power bi load the dashboard. I'm unable to update any queries because it breaks due to the circular dependency. I tried removing the table to see if resolves the issue but I won't allow me and creates another error.

I tried opening an older copy of our dashboard to see if it's due to the changes I've made. but the pbix file I test was dated october and it still got the same issue.

I'm baffled because I haven't updated our dashboard for a while and been working with the power bi desktop with no issue until this time.

if this is a pbi desktop version issue, how can I downgrade to the lower version?

MicroPro88
Regular Visitor

I am recieving the exact same error and issue likewise. In addition, I suspected it was due to changes I had made, however I opened previous versions and I get the same error message.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is investigating this bug? Are there any noted work arounds?

Thanks

Runarbt
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. 

Get two different circular errors.. cant change/delete the tables, relations or adjust the dax. 

The live dashboards seem to work just fine, but we cant do any updates or changes as the error pops up on the desktop side.

We tried to open older versions - and we had to go back to a version we made back in 2021 to find one that didnt have the error. 

toblerr2

I am having the same issue with one report I update monthly. No issues last month, but since the March 2024 desktop update, I can't open this report without the "Circular dependency error", and I can't make any changes to my report without the error being thrown. If I try to fix the one dependency, another error is thrown and I can't refresh or change anything. Here is what the initial error message looks like for me.

toblerr2_0-1712246966724.png

MicroPro88
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

I ended up contacting a Microsoft service provider through our plan and can confirm this IS indeed a bug from the March 2024 release.

Microsoft has been notified of this and should have this bug corrected by the time the April release comes around. 

Uninstalling my current Power BI version and then installing the February version resolved the issue. Here is the link to download the February Power BI version: 

https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/0/880BCA75-79DD-466A-927D-1ABF1F5454B0/PBIDesktopSetup-2...