Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Calculated Table with Calculated Columns; Glitch where creates measure in formula bar

I am having an issue where if I have a calculated table (first 5 columns calculated table) and then calculated columns added to the end (last 4 columns of the table) when I left click from a calculated column back to the calculated table in data view the system buffers and it overwrites the formula bar with the calculated column formula and creates a new table with the formula that was in the calc column feild. I am not sure why it is doing this because I am just clicking to navigate. 

I have a video of this issue I could not upload but is a new issue.

Hi  @Kiwi_Kyle ,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue.

The fix will be deployed in the May release.

I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
Kiwi_Kyle
Regular Visitor

Also whenever I just left click one of the calculated columns the message "RENAME COLUMN" the name is already in use comes up

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Kiwi_Kyle ,

I did a simple test but it doesn't seem to reproduce what you have.
Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop, my test version is:2.126.1261.0 64-bit (February 2024)
Does this issue only occur in this report or can it be reproduced in New report?

Best regards.

Kiwi_Kyle
Regular Visitor

This I believe is the same issue I have seen others having specific to the February version. I installed the November version for now and that fixed the issue.

It was occuring in all the reports I had where a calculated table had calculated columns added on.

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

MAYOD
Regular Visitor

I am seeing the same issue with Version: 2.126.1261.0 64-bit (February 2024).

I can consistantly replicate this in a calculated table. It occurs whenever selecting an entire column in Table View (by clicking on the column header) and then switching to a different column (by clicking on that column's header).

For example:

• Create a single column calculated table from an existing date dimension, using the formula:
    • CalcDate = SUMMARIZE('Dates',[Date])
  • Add a calculated column to table CalcDate:
    • Test = "abc"

Issue can be replicated by clicking on the header for column 'Test' to select that column, then clicking on the header for column 'Date' then clicking back on the column header for column 'Test'. This results in the formula for the calculated column 'Test' being overwritten with the same formula as the 'Date' column i.e. the calculated table formula CalcDate = SUMMARIZE('Dates',[Date]) which then returns #ERROR due to the calculated column returning a table of multiple values.

I can also consistantly cause the table formula in the first column to be overwritten with the calculated column's formula by:

• Selecting a value in one of the data rows for column 'Test'
  • Then selecting the header of the 'Date' column

This is a particularly problematic bug since the change is not able to be undone (short of closing the PBIX file without saving) and can result in the loss of existing logic in calculated columns/tables.

I am also seeing behavior where clicking between the headers of multiple existing calculated columns causes an error dialogue 'Rename column: The name <calculated column name> is already used for a column on table <table name>. Chose a different name. It appears likely this is the same issue - PBI is trying to copy the formula (including the name) of one calculated column and paste this into the next selected calculated column, but because the first column name already exists, it fails and displays the name error.

EMP
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm having the same issue.

Essentially, when clicking between calculated columns in the table view one calculated column will copy itself over to the other via the formula bar. It only happens if you click on the column header when switching between calculated columns. This is a new issue, within the last month or so. 

Work around, click on a row to switch between calculated columns - don't click on the headers. 

perviiri1
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue

mvalenzuela
Regular Visitor

Same here, the exactaly same issue for me and my team. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi  @Kiwi_Kyle ,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue.

The fix will be deployed in the May release.

I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.

userkmb

Yes, seeing the exact same issues (both of them). Very annoying, since it can't be undone.