Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bug - Power BI Dataflow with connection to other Power BI data flow fails in refreshing

Created a Power BI Dataflow with the connection to other existing Power BI data flow using "Dataflow" connector, worked in the editing, but failed in refreshing once saved it.  

Switched the connector from "Dataflow" to "Power BI Dataflow (Legacy)" and worked.

Dataflow connector has the issue with connecting to other Power BI dataflow when refreshing data. The refresh error message was

"Error: Data Source Error : DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) DataSourceKind = <ccon>PowerPlatformDataflows</ccon> DataSourcePath = <ccon>PowerPlatformDataflows</ccon> Message = <ccon>A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections".

Hi all,

The issue has been fixed,now this thread will be closed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
kevingauv
Advocate II

Hi, we got the same issue, with several other persons it seems.

I post my original thread in the wrong channel I think...

This is my original post about that:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-while-refreshing-a-Dataset-or-a-dataflow-that-use-oth...

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @Kemei ,

Power BI Dataflow customers connecting datasets via Dataflow connector might experience refresh failures with an error message saying, "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible."

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Eliasaki92
Advocate II

Hi there, 
Any news on this topic? 
This is a serious issue and the workarounds are not effective/working. I have seen in another threat that the issue should be resolved yesterday? Can you please confirm? 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Error-while-refreshing-a-Dataset-or-a-dataflow-that-use-oth... 

Eliasaki92_0-1684223890130.png

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

The issue is no longer showing on the Power BI Support site and it said it was supposed to be resolved yesterday. I am still getting the error now and it is causing many issues through our organization. @v-xiaoyan-msft - can you please provide an update?

kevingauv
Advocate II

Hi, we still experiencing the same issue today (from a dataflow), with same error code.

@v-xiaoyan-msft - can you please provide an update?

Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Détails
DataSourceKind = PowerPlatformDataflows
DataSourcePath = PowerPlatformDataflows
Message = A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
ErrorCode = -2146232060
Number = 53
Class = 20

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi all,

The issue has been fixed,now this thread will be closed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn