Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BUG - Scroll in the Power BI service is jittery/jumpy

Scrolling a list of items in a workspace makes me dizzy due to the way the list is refreshing itself. It's as if it's constantly trying to repopulate all the items using JS. HELP!

Hi  @dzfx ,

Thank you for your feedback, I would like to know more details about this issue.
For example:
1. Does the problem appear in both Power BI Desktop and Service? What is the version you are using?
2. Can you provide some screenshots to show the issue in more detail? (Please be careful not to include sensitive information)

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

This has been happening to me as well for at least a few months. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @dzfx ,

Thank you for your feedback, I would like to know more details about this issue.
For example:
1. Does the problem appear in both Power BI Desktop and Service? What is the version you are using?
2. Can you provide some screenshots to show the issue in more detail? (Please be careful not to include sensitive information)

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

NorwoodFrog
Regular Visitor

Same issue here. It started with the new look in the power bi service. By 'new look' I mean the new view with all reports, datasets, dashboards etc in one single view as well as the left-hand side new navigation style (which is not affected). 

It's difficult enough to identify report from dataset without using extra clicks on the filter (it would be a good to at least color the icons differently), but when scrolling down the jittering is really annoying. 

Regards

Christine

dzfx
Advocate II

Hi Caitlyn as it's in the Service I don't have a version number to give you, it's whatever the live version is that Microsoft have published to the internet. I don't believe Power BI Desktop is affected.

As it's a dynamic jittery scrolling behaviour, I can't screenshot it for you but you hopefully understand what the issue is.

Christine I back and agree with your comment that we could really do with the coloured icons in the list again. The new list "look" is awful in my opinion, just makes it more difficult to distinguish things.

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

@v-xiaoyan-msft Any update on this? When scrolling through a the list of items in a workspace, the jittering is really bad.

Nappa
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue in the workspace, have had it for a few months but seems worse the last week or so. Just scrolling up or down is so annoying, even one wheel click causes lots of jumping. Exactly the same if I use Edge of Chrome, using a dell lat 5521 on windows 10.

Hubblet
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue for at least 6 months. Power BI web service, on multiple browsers, multiple laptops, the scrolling bug is there.
Cant believe this isnt fixed. 
@v-xiaoyan-msft status update please.

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

@v-xiaoyan-msft - This has been going on for at least a year. Please escalate it.

SteveIsTheName

Just want to chyme in because this doesn't have enough votes, it makes the interface VERY hard to use I struggle significantly to find anything in folders I have to scroll through.

Agree please escalate.

SteveIsTheName

Just to help describe the issue to our Microsoft agent: 

It's impossible to screenshot this as its a behaviour that occurs only while scrolling. The closest thing I could compare it to is when you have a mouse with a bad scroll wheel, so scrolling does not work smoothly, but everything jumps around in different directions and the eyes can't follow - except this happens in a jumpy way the eyes can't follow. Ultimately it actually does scroll the correct corresponding amount, but the jumpy animation\refreshing on the screen during the scroll is a very confusing and disorienting experience indeed, and does make it difficult to navigate the longer lists, because you're not sure where you landed after scrolling.

Another way to describe the sensation is that it is its like when you browse a website that refreshes its ads but the refreshed ad is a different size so what your reading jumps around on the screen with each ad refresh, only imagine that happening a bunch of times rapidly in the span of a single scroll iteration.

The result is when the user scrolls we don't know where we land in the list after scrolling and have to look for some reference point to figure out where we are, wich is far more time consuming than if the scroll just worked smoothly so the eyes could follow what's happening on screen.

To echo Original poster, it does seem like its some kind of visual refresh issue, as the scroll does technically move the right amount, its just the animation on screen causes a lot of problems which slows the user down (significantly)