Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Alt Key Shortcuts Causing Problems

In the new update, when pressing the Alt key, the following shortcuts are highlighted.

lasersharks_0-1685187053866.png

This is welcome but there is a problem switching windows with other applications. If I'm in another application and I use Alt+Tab to switch to PBI, then the black short keys show up, interrupting any workflow. This is not how it work in any other application. For example, if I Alt+Tab into Word, the shortcut keys do NOT show until I press Alt when the window has focus. Please fix as this makes it impossible to switch between PBI and other applications at the moment without creating a lot of friction

PS

Please consider adding shortcut keys to switch between report view, data view and model view.

Hi @lasersharks 

So your requirement is that when you use Tab+Alt in an application, it's to switch between the functions in that application, not to show the shortcut keys while switching, right? Just use Alt alone to show the shortcut, right?
As for what you mentioned in your PS, this is a requirement, so you need to go to Ideas and present your idea.

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
lasersharks
Kudo Collector

What exactly is the point of this forum? I have described a clear bug which breaks 30 years of standard behaviour in Windows and it is marked as Delivered. Can you get someone who actually knows what they're doing to take a second look as this is clearly not the correct behaviour.

bricsteam23

ABC team , thouch big boss put so much money on invesment,  tell they all in, just in no out, policy law decree privlige authotry

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @lasersharks 

So your requirement is that when you use Tab+Alt in an application, it's to switch between the functions in that application, not to show the shortcut keys while switching, right? Just use Alt alone to show the shortcut, right?
As for what you mentioned in your PS, this is a requirement, so you need to go to Ideas and present your idea.

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

lasersharks
Kudo Collector

Setting aside the PS, the problem is the way Alt+Tab works. For the last 30 years, it has a standard way of working on Windows for switching applications. For example, open Word and Excel and then Alt+Tab between the two. You'll see how it is smooth and the cursor is exactly where it was left before switching. The shortcut keys are not displayed until the application has focus and THEN you press the Alt key. Power BI doesn't follow this standard. In fact, it is inconsistent even in Power BI. e.g. Alt+Tab between any other application and then PBI. The first time, the shortcut keys show and the second time, they do not. This is clearly a bug. Shortcut keys should not show until the application has focus and then press Alt (no Tab).

j_h_preisser
Regular Visitor

For me, when I try to type a new line (alt+enter), alt stays toggled after release. So to input a new line in Dax, I have to press Alt+Enter and then Alt.