Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ag91375
Frequent Visitor

Transfer ownership of a Fabric Lakehouse

I am looking for a way to transfer ownership of a Fabric Lakehouse.

I found the following link on using PowerShell's Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod for one to take ownership of a Fabric Warehouse. Does this API also support Fabric Lakehouses as well as all other
Fabric artifacts as of April 2024?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/data-warehouse/change-ownership

Are there any other straightforward ways to transfer ownership of a Fabric Lakehouse?

7 REPLIES 7
v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ag91375 ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.

At this point in time the only way to do this is to open support ticket, Have this information ready and add to the ticket: 

1. The customer's Tenant Id
  2. The object Id of the Lakehouse to take over
  3. The User Object Id of an Administrator, Member, or Contributor of the workspace containing the Lakehouse to become the new owner
  4. Approval from the customer's tenant administrator for us to perform a manual SQL script to change the owner on the Lakehouse

If you are looking for this feature in Fabric.

Appreciate if you could share the feedback on our feedback channel. Which would be open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows our product teams to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and gives insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

When the creator of a data lakehouse leaves the company there is no way of transfering ownership?   This is a very large barrier for an enterprise company to use lakehouses.   Opening a support ticket for each lakehouse isn't efficient or feasible.

Hi @tschlidt ,

Yes I can understand your problem. But at present we have this limitation and only way to resolve this by opening a support ticket. In future we expect product team may develop some functionality to do this.

I appreciate if you could share the feedback on our feedback channel. Which would be open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows our product teams to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and gives insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Hi @ag91375 ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query was answered. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

I would also like to check did you got any chance to create a support ticket? If yes, please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Sorry, we are working through our issues.   Currently we've decided to script and recreate lakehouses.   Don't want to be reliant on support tickets.

Similar question - which I did create a ticket for - Gen2 Dataflows use lakehouses for staging data.  All dataflows in a workspace use the same staging lakehouse - who has ownership of the staging lakehouses?   I assume this is the same ownership issue, or are staging lakehouses owned by some system id?

Hi @tschlidt ,

You can navigate to the OneLake data hub and search for the term DataflowsStaging and you'll see the Owner column. Often it's going to be based on the creator of the first Dataflow Gen2 within a workspace.

vgchennamsft_0-1715095417660.png

Hope this is helpful.

Expiscornovus
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @ag91375,

Fabric has a REST API, however it is still pretty new. I have found this method to update Lakehouse properties.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/fabric/lakehouse/items/update-lakehouse?tabs=HTTP

Unfortunately, ownership is not one of them.

Not sure if it is even possible via the interface: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-to-change-owner-of-a-Lakehouse/m-p/...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors