Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

thedatacrew
Frequent Visitor

Synapse Analytics, Fabric & Mapping Data Flows

Hi,

I like what I see in Fabric, it looks awesome. However a lot of our clients have made the investment into Synapse Analytics. Here is a quote from the Reddit "Ask Any Question" on Fabric this week.

Reddit "Ask Any Question" on Fabric this week

Will Azure Synapse services continue to be developed (pipelines, serverless pools etc.) and evolve away from the equivalent technologies in Fabric?

Azure Synapse will continue to exist, but all new investments will be directed towards Fabric. There will also be migration paths to upgrade to the Synapse experiences in MS Fabric.

What about Mapping Data Flows. A lot of customer have used meta data driven ETL/ELT to load hundreds of tables and using the dynamic functionality of Mapping Data Flows to process data, and drive TYPE 1,2,3 Slowy Changing Dimensions etc. 

I'm struggling to see how we automate PowerQuery in a large Metadata driven ETL/ELT environment. It seems strange to not bring over support for Mapping Data Flows.

Also, will we see any incremental improvements in Synapse Analytics? i.e. proper support for EXTERNAL DELTA tables.

Will this put off customers adopting Synapse, knowing that MS won't invest in its future, effectivley sunsetting the product. In reality Fabric won't be released until the end of the year, in the meantime where will customers go - probably Databricks & ADF?

2 REPLIES 2
HimanshuS-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@thedatacrew ; Can you please point us to the Reddit link ? For some reason I am unable to get that .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors