Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Scott_Powell
Advocate III
Advocate III

Need help - default dataset how to set measure formats?

Hi, I'm trying to create a basic measure that just counts number of rows in the fact table of a default dataset. The calculation works fine - but I want it to show with commas as thousands separators.

If I click on Measure Tools, it gives me the ability to choose a "whole number" format, but there's no button that allows toggling on commas. Image #1 below. And even if I choose something like "decimal number" I'm also still not seeing the way to format it.

Ditto for using the Properties Pane image #2 below.

Appreciate the help!

Scott

Scott_Powell_0-1699630346989.png

Scott_Powell_1-1699630429898.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey all - I finally found the "secret" to this. It appears that you simply can't get the decimal places and comma separator settings to show up on the "default" semantic model - but they work fine on custom semantic models. Also it seems like you can't rename columns on the default model. I guess long and short we should always create our own.

Thanks,

Scott

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AndyDDC
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Scott_Powell are you using a Lakehouse or a Warehouse? You should be able to click on the measure and see the Thousands Seperator, which will format the number with commas

AndyDDC_0-1699646785290.png

Hi @AndyDDC , that's super interesting - you're looking exactly at the same place I am, and you see the options for the percentage format, thousands separator, and number of decimal place - while I don't. This is happening to me in both lakehouses and warehouses.

Not sure what's up, guess I'll open a ticket with Microsoft. I'll post back here if we're able to figure out what's up.

Thanks,

Scott

@AndyDDC I also see you're having the annoying tables like long_running_queries that have started showing up. I reported this as a bug to microsoft.

Hi @Scott_Powell 

Apologies for the delay in response.

Follow up to see if you have a resolution yet.
In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

Thanks

hi @v-cboorla-msft no I still don't have any resolution on this. Reproducing this issue is super easy:

1. Create a new lakehouse

2. Load a few tables into the lakehouse using any means

3. In the SQL endpoint, go to the "model" tab and create a simple measure such as: 

Total Licenses = countrows(M365_Licenses)
4. Per the image below - the measure defaults to showing as a "whole number" which is correct - but I do NOT get the option to adjust whether or not a comma displays. Switching it to another format such as "general" doesn't help - not only do I not get the comma option, but I get no options for how many decimal places to show, etc. And you can see I don't get the options to adjust these either in the "measures tool" along the top, or in the Properties pane on the side.

Note that @AndyDDC posted above that he's seeing the options - but I believe that to happen on COLUMNS, not on Measures. When I choose a numeric COLUMN in the model I do see the options for adjusting decimal places, commas and the like - but on Measures I don't.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott_Powell_1-1701105405093.png

Hey all - I finally found the "secret" to this. It appears that you simply can't get the decimal places and comma separator settings to show up on the "default" semantic model - but they work fine on custom semantic models. Also it seems like you can't rename columns on the default model. I guess long and short we should always create our own.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi @Scott_Powell 

Glad that your query got resolved.

Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors