Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mhaupt
Regular Visitor

Issues setting up Synapse VS code on VS desktop

Hi there,

Hoping someone might be able to assist with setting up Synapse VS code on my VS desktop.  The issue I have is that I don't have the "synapse-spark-kernel" created.  Instead I have a couple of other kernels "fabric-synapse-runtime". 

mhaupt_0-1709696393042.png

.. and neither seems to execute spark on the Jupyter notebook

mhaupt_2-1709696446561.png

Basically I have followed all the processes here, https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/data-engineering/setup-vs-code-extension

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mhaupt 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Apologies for the issue. The issue is with the Microsoft Document. The document has not been updated yet. You are receiving the correct runtimes. You can select any one of the "fabric-synapse-runtime" based on your notebook. The runtime version should same as your notebook.

Coming to the code part VScode.dev(web version of VS code) can run %%sql, but desktop does not support this magic command yet. Only %pip is supported for now.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
khoirockfeather

I have the same issue and I cant use neither the runtime kernel to run spark code. PLease help

Apologies @khoirockfeather I ended up not using Pyspark, went with plan vanilla Python/Polars for my project

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mhaupt 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Apologies for the issue. The issue is with the Microsoft Document. The document has not been updated yet. You are receiving the correct runtimes. You can select any one of the "fabric-synapse-runtime" based on your notebook. The runtime version should same as your notebook.

Coming to the code part VScode.dev(web version of VS code) can run %%sql, but desktop does not support this magic command yet. Only %pip is supported for now.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mant thanks @v-nikhilan-msft all good now.  But please encourag eyour colleagues to update the documentation soon - I spent half a day trying to get this to work.  Might be worth emphasising the issue with magic decorators too

Hi @mhaupt 

Glad that your query got resolved. Apologies for this. We will fix this soon. Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.