Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

mhaupt
Regular Visitor

How to use polars write_parquet with Lakehouse

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help.  I want to write a parquet file to Lakehouse, but can't see how to include storage otions (access token, use_fabric_endpoint).  Polars does this as part of its "write_delta" process, eg.

polardataframe.write_delta(target=url,mode=mode,storage_options, delta_write_options)

, but "polardataframe.write_parquet" doesn't have the 'storage_options'  field.

Note my motivation for using parquet rather than deltatables is so I can implement partitions for faster querying.  If some kind person could tell me how to write deltatables with partitions this would aso solve my problem.  I did try adding "partition_by" as an delta_write option, but Fabric would only accept a blank list

Some forums suggest using "df.to_pandas().to_parquet(filepath, storage_options={...}) ", but I don't know what to put in the filepath or storage options.

Others suggest "... stop using the storage_options parameter and just use the aabfs.open handler for both reading and writing", which sounds like a solution but I've never (consciously) used aabfs before and wouldn't know where to begin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mhaupt
Regular Visitor

Actually I managed to apply partitions using write deltatables.  The issue was I had been trying to apply partitions to an existing rather than a new table. D'oh!  😛

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mhaupt
Regular Visitor

Actually I managed to apply partitions using write deltatables.  The issue was I had been trying to apply partitions to an existing rather than a new table. D'oh!  😛

Hi @mhaupt ,

Glad to know that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community on your further queries.

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mhaupt ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
As I understand you are trying to write a partitioned parquet file to Microsoft Fabric Lakehouse.

Can you please check this doc - Microsoft Fabric: using Notebooks and Table Partitioning to Convert Files to Tables 

vgchennamsft_0-1715926043014.png

Hope this might give you some idea over your query. Do let me know incase of further queries.

ta!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.