Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cw88
Helper III
Helper III

Azure Data Studio Database Project: Reference to Lakehouse

Hi all, 

i try to create a database project in azure data studio. The import of all objects works fine, but when i try to build the project i get errors with the message "... [Object] contains an unresolved reference to an object. Either the object does not exist or the reference is ambiguous because it could refer to any of the following objects: ..." .

This objects (views) get data via cross database query from a lakehouse in the same workspace. 

Does anyone know whether it is possible to store the reference to the lakehouse in the project?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndyDDC
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @cw88 only Fabric Warehouses are officially supported in Azure Data Studio.

However, I have been able to also import a Lakehouse schema into an Azure Data Studio project where the target platform is set to Fabric Warehouse.  Then the only way I could get the cross-database dependency to build from the Warehouse to the Lakehouse was to successfully build the Lakehouse, then in the Warehouse create a Database Reference to the Lakehouse dacpac.

In the image below I have a Warehouse and a Lakehouse project.  The Warehouse has a Database Reference to the Lakehouse dacpac.

I did use the Azure Data Studio Insiders build for this.

https://github.com/microsoft/azuredatastudio#try-out-the-latest-insiders-build-from-main-branch

AndyDDC_0-1699867994102.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AndyDDC
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @cw88 only Fabric Warehouses are officially supported in Azure Data Studio.

However, I have been able to also import a Lakehouse schema into an Azure Data Studio project where the target platform is set to Fabric Warehouse.  Then the only way I could get the cross-database dependency to build from the Warehouse to the Lakehouse was to successfully build the Lakehouse, then in the Warehouse create a Database Reference to the Lakehouse dacpac.

In the image below I have a Warehouse and a Lakehouse project.  The Warehouse has a Database Reference to the Lakehouse dacpac.

I did use the Azure Data Studio Insiders build for this.

https://github.com/microsoft/azuredatastudio#try-out-the-latest-insiders-build-from-main-branch

AndyDDC_0-1699867994102.png

Hi @AndyDDC ,

We are using a similar solution.

The challenge is that while SQLCMD variables work, the literal strings do not work during the build. This means we have to manually update all the references to Lakehouse objects to use variables. This presents two challenges:

1) It's a manual step and adds effort to each new object

2) The variable references come up as a "change" during each database => database project schema comparison

Have you been able to make references to work using the standard 3-part name, without involving code changes and variables?

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cw88 ,
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Apologies for the issue you have been facing. At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this. We will update you once we hear back from them.
Can you please confirm if you are using the latest version of Azure Data Studio? If yes you can connect to SQL endpoint using Azure Data Studio and can successfully query the tables. 

Hi, i use the latest version of Azure Data Studio, connect to SQL endpoint is possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024  FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors