Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

arpost
Advocate V
Advocate V

Any ideas on how to return output of insert statement?

Greetings, community. I found that Fabric doesn't support the OUTPUT statement (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/queries/output-clause-transact-sql?view=sql-server-ver16). I didn't find that limitation listed in the Fabric docs (link), but when I try to use OUTPUT in a statement I get the following:

OUTPUT is not supported.

Is there ANY way to output the result of an insert statement in Fabric??

UPDATE: Here is a link to the idea for adding OUTPUT to Fabric.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @arpost ,

At present this is the release plan available - What's new and planned for Synapse Data Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft...

As I already said -  Output is currently not supported and we don't have a specific ETA to share at this moment.

Appreciate if you could share the feedback on our feedback channel. Which would be open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows our product teams to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and gives insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thank you

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
arpost
Advocate V
Advocate V

Appreciate it, @v-gchenna-msft.

Hi @arpost ,

Response from internal team -

" Output is currently not supported, and we don't have an ETA for this yet. "

Thanks for checking, @v-gchenna-msft. I was afraid you'd say that. That's kind of a big deal for return values in data pipelines and practices such as assigning audit keys to data when ingesting. If you can't create an audit record for data jobs and then return the ID for that new record so you can tag your data inserts, your data quality auditing is shot.

Do we know if this is on any kind of release plan?

Hi @arpost ,

At present this is the release plan available - What's new and planned for Synapse Data Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft...

As I already said -  Output is currently not supported and we don't have a specific ETA to share at this moment.

Appreciate if you could share the feedback on our feedback channel. Which would be open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows our product teams to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and gives insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply. Here's the link for the idea I created: Add Support for OUTPUT Statement in Fabric Data Warehouse

Hi @arpost ,

Glad to know that you got some insights over your query. Please continue using Fabric Community on your further queries.

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arpost ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors