Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JYOCH
Frequent Visitor

Fabric

Hi all,,,

I am trying to read the necessesary data from customer tables in fabric sql end point. as a part of it i am creating views and now i have to update some columns as per the requirement.

I am unable to update my views and it says that i cant create temp table in sql endpoint in fabric. SO now how do i update my columns?

Kin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JYOCH ,

As the following official documentation refers, the SQL analytics endpoint in Microsoft Fabric operates in read-only mode over lakehouse delta tables. This means you can only read data from delta tables using the SQL analytics endpoint. They can save functions, views, and set SQL object-level security. To modify data in Lakehouse delta tables, you have to switch to lakehouse mode and use Apache Spark. 

What is the SQL analytics endpoint for a lakehouse? - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

To modify data in Lakehouse delta tables, it is necessary to switch to lakehouse mode and utilize Apache Spark.

Given this, you might find the following alternatives useful:

• Directly modify the underlying tables instead of using a view. The ALTER TABLE statement can be used to add or modify columns in a table.
  • Create a new view that includes the updated columns. The CREATE VIEW statement can be used to create a new view based on the existing tables, and the updated columns can be included in the SELECT statement.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JYOCH ,

As the following official documentation refers, the SQL analytics endpoint in Microsoft Fabric operates in read-only mode over lakehouse delta tables. This means you can only read data from delta tables using the SQL analytics endpoint. They can save functions, views, and set SQL object-level security. To modify data in Lakehouse delta tables, you have to switch to lakehouse mode and use Apache Spark. 

What is the SQL analytics endpoint for a lakehouse? - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

To modify data in Lakehouse delta tables, it is necessary to switch to lakehouse mode and utilize Apache Spark.

Given this, you might find the following alternatives useful:

• Directly modify the underlying tables instead of using a view. The ALTER TABLE statement can be used to add or modify columns in a table.
  • Create a new view that includes the updated columns. The CREATE VIEW statement can be used to create a new view based on the existing tables, and the updated columns can be included in the SELECT statement.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.