Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Orstenpowers
Post Patron
Post Patron

"Translate" from MS Excel "IF" & "AND" & "OR" for a calculated column

Dear all,

I hope you can help me...

My data also consist of a column “Order No”, being defined as Text.

Normally such an order number starts with “010”, “020” etc., sometimes also with “SE*…” or “MI*…”

Now I do need a solution how to identify specific order numbers and return text “Sales Order Germany” as result.

In Excel I would have written as follows, but I do not get it translated into PBI language…

IF

'Table'[Order No] begins with “010”   OR

'Table'[Order No] begins with “SE*01”   OR
'Table'[Order No] begins with “MI*” AND ends with “*101”

THEN
“Sales Order Germany”

Is there anybody out there who can help me? Amongst others, my attempts failed, because “*” was interpreted as replacement character…

Looking forward to your proposal I remain

Best regards

Orstenpowers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try to add a new column on Power Query using this code:

= Table.AddColumn(
    #"Previous Step",
    "New Column",
    each if Text.StartsWith([Order No], "010") or Text.StartsWith([Order No], "SE*01") or (Text.StartsWith([Order No], "MI*") and Text.EndsWith([Order No], "*101")) then "Sales Order Germany" else null
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Orstenpowers ,

Thanks to @Kishore_KVN and @Kishore_KVN for their replies, they both made good points.

Unlike Excel, DAX does not use wildcards like "*" in the same way for pattern matching. Instead, we will focus on the presence of specific text strings.

After my testing, I have found two ways to accomplish your needs.

One is to add a new column in Power Query as @_AAndrade said, and he is right in what he said and how he did it.

One is like @Kishore_KVN said, New Column in Data view. his method is right, but there is some error in syntax:

vhuijieymsft_0-1709697490342.png

The modified syntax is as follows, Please try:

Status = 
If(Left('Table'[Order No],3) = "010" || Left('Table'[Order No],5) = "SE*01" || Left('Table'[Order No],3) = "MI*" && Right('Table'[Order No],4) = "* 101", "Sales Order Germany", "Others")

vhuijieymsft_1-1709697490344.png

The pbix file is attached.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Kishore_KVN
Super User
Super User

Hello @Orstenpowers ,

you can try below calculation bit modified as per your table names and column names in a calculated column it will solve your requirement mostly. 

Status = 
If(Left('Table'[Order No],3) = "010" || Left('Table'[Order No],5) = "SE*01" || Left('Table'[Order No],3) = "MI*" && Right('Table'[Order No],4) = "*101),"Sales Order Germany","Others")

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly. Thank You!!

_AAndrade
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try to add a new column on Power Query using this code:

= Table.AddColumn(
    #"Previous Step",
    "New Column",
    each if Text.StartsWith([Order No], "010") or Text.StartsWith([Order No], "SE*01") or (Text.StartsWith([Order No], "MI*") and Text.EndsWith([Order No], "*101")) then "Sales Order Germany" else null
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are welcome.

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.