Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

miraboneva
Regular Visitor

"Add a map type" button on Shape Map is greyed out

Hi there!

I haven't been able to find the answer to this and I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm overlooking. I've tried adding different data to the location and color saturation fields but any time I go to Format visual and try adding a custom map, the Add a map type option is greyed-out and I can't add it. 

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

miraboneva_0-1643964847143.png

miraboneva_1-1643964875229.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I've done some detective work.  You have checked the 'New Format pane' in Preview Features (Options/Settings).

I know nothing about this, however, you may have found a bug with the shapemap format options.

I suggest you uncheck the setting and try to load the shape map you want.  (You will have to restart powerbi). If this works ok, could you log the issue you have found here please

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues/label-name/reports 

Let me know how it goes

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
bbbbi01
Helper II
Helper II

Hi! I still cannot upload the map as it's greyed out. If i select "Custom Map", i can do it. But it shows no data when i hover the map.

bbbbi01_0-1708020358005.png

rcarimo3

First of all, you have to enter values in 'Location' and 'Color Saturation' after that in Map Setting under Map Type you have to select Custom Map and the Add map type option will enable.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Have you selected 'custom map' from the map type? That will enable the 'Add a map type'

Ys, I would like to have shape file from power BI, then add my DA level json file, but do not know how to activate this button. Thx

Khoaja

Hi, I am using PBI (Version: 2.106.582.0 64-bit (June 2022)), and I have the same issue, but  I could not solve it. If somebody can help me. Thanks

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I've done some detective work.  You have checked the 'New Format pane' in Preview Features (Options/Settings).

I know nothing about this, however, you may have found a bug with the shapemap format options.

I suggest you uncheck the setting and try to load the shape map you want.  (You will have to restart powerbi). If this works ok, could you log the issue you have found here please

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues/label-name/reports 

Let me know how it goes

Yup, that was the issue indeed. Thank you! I'll log it now

miraboneva_0-1644249184342.png

miraboneva
Regular Visitor

Hi! 

Yes, it's the desktop app with this version: 2.99.621.0 64-bit (November 2021). I'd imagine I ticked the wrong box at some point that now prevents me from uploading a custom map, but I've run out of ideas where to look. 

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

is this powerbi desktop? If so, what version?  The reason I ask is that I have "+ Add Map" and the 2nd picture doesn't look usual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.