Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hab

couldn't establish connection with MySQL

Hello everyone! Hope you all are doing great. Please hep me out here -  

I'm using Power BI desktop, and trying to fetch data from MySQL database, but couldn't establish connection. It keeps throwing an error saying 'This connector requires one or more additional components to be installed before it can be used'. To solve this, I went ahead and installed Windows (x86, 32-bit), MSI Installer. However, I'm still getting same error message. What else I should do apart from this? Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @Hab,

Can you please try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Verify the installation: Confirm that you have installed the correct version of the MySQL connector for your system architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). If you installed the 32-bit version, make sure you are using the 32-bit version of Power BI Desktop. Similarly, if you installed the 64-bit version, ensure you are using the 64-bit version of Power BI Desktop.

2. Restart Power BI Desktop: After installing the MySQL connector, close Power BI Desktop completely and reopen it. Sometimes, a restart is required for the changes to take effect.

3. Check Power BI Desktop version: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop. Newer versions often include updates and bug fixes, which may resolve issues with connectors. You can check for updates by going to the "File" menu, selecting "Options and settings," and then choosing "Options." Under the "Global" section, select "Updates" to check for updates or enable automatic updates.

4. Reinstall the connector: If the issue persists, try uninstalling the MySQL connector and reinstalling it. Completely remove the existing installation and then download the latest version of the connector from the official MySQL website.

5. Firewall and network settings: Verify that there are no firewall restrictions or network settings that may be preventing the connection to the MySQL database.

6. Test the connection: If possible, try connecting to the MySQL database using other tools or software, such as MySQL Workbench or a command-line client, to ensure the database server is accessible and the connection details (server address, port, credentials) are correct. If you encounter issues with other tools as well, it may indicate a problem with the database server configuration or network setup.

Let me know if you might need further assistance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.