Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Thamizh_hfhs
Helper I
Helper I

Using SUMMARIZE and SUMX with IF statement

I have surgeries #, last 12 months average of surgeries, Variance #, Current month Avg cost per case, Average of last 12 months cost per case. I'm trying to calculate the $Amount Impact of Surgery Volumes and summarize it by Operating Unit then Service Line and followed my Procedures. Now, there are two scenarios here where I use IF statement.

1. IF Surgeries # <> 0 and last 12 months average of surgeries <> 0, then Variance# * Current month Avg cost per case
2. IF Surgeries # = 0 and last 12 months average of surgeries <> 0, then Variance# * Average of last 12 months cost per case.

When I define this in the DAX, only the 1st criteria is working. The 2nd criteria doesn't seem to be working. Attaching the DAX below,

$ Amt Impact due to Volumes = 
var AvgCPC12months = SUMX(
    SUMMARIZE(Surgeries,'Surgeries'[Operating Unit], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryService], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryProcedureDescription]), 'Surgeries'[Variances#] * 'CPC'[Last 12 months Avg CPC]) 

var AvgCPCCurrentMonth = SUMX(
    SUMMARIZE(Surgeries,'Surgeries'[Operating Unit], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryService], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryProcedureDescription]), 'Surgeries'[Variances#] * 'CPC'[Avg Cost per Case]) 

RETURN 
    IF('Surgeries'[Surgeries#] = 0 && 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#] <> 0, AvgCPC12months, AvgCPCCurrentMonth)

Any help will be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution. I created a simple measure with the IF statement. 

$ Amt Impact Criteria = IF('Surgeries'[Surgeries#] = 0 && 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#] <> 0, 'Surgeries'[Variance#] * 'CPC'[Last 12 months Avg CPC], 'Surgeries'[Variance#] * 'CPC'[Avg Cost per Case])

And then I modified the existing DAX as follows

$ Amt Impact due to Volumes = SUMX(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(CALCULATETABLE('Surgeries', ALL(DimDate)), DATESINPERIOD('DimDate'[Date], MAX('DimDate'[Date]), -12, MONTH)), 'Surgeries'[DepartmentCenter], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryService], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryProcedureDescription]),'Surgeries'[$ Amt Impact Criteria])

Thanks everyone for your help!!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ExcelMonke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Try:

Surgeries# = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Surgeries'[LogID]),'Surgeries'[LogID]<> "")

if that doesn't replicate the result, an alternative is:

Surgeries# = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Surgeries'[LogID]),FILTER('Surgeries',NOT ISBLANK('Surgeries'[LogID]))

This should be able to solve your formatting issue (and will also speed up calculations compared to the IF statement)

The measures you suggested basically will exclude all the NULL Surgeries. I actually need them in the data for calcualting the negative dollar amount impact (Condition 2 as mentioned in the description above)

ExcelMonke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

What is the format of your surgeries column? Is it text? Numbers?

Surgeries# = IF(ISBLANK(DISTINCTCOUNT('Surgeries'[LogID])), 0, DISTINCTCOUNT('Surgeries'[LogID]))
LogID is text.
ExcelMonke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Consider adding a calculate + filter function. So for example,

CALCULATE([your measure], FILTER(Table, Table[Surgeries] <>""))

I tried CALCULATE('Surgeries'[$ Amt Impact due to Volumes], FILTER('Surgeries', 'Surgeries'[Surgeries#] <> ""))

And I got the followiing error message,
Thamizh_hfhs_0-1715283105378.png

ExcelMonke
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Consider putting your 

'Surgeries'[Variances#] * 'CPC'[Avg Cost per Case]

clause as the first variable.

Could you perhaps show us what the result is giving you now, and what the intended result should be?

I did try adding that as first variable. This is the result I get. 

Results I getResults I get

And below is the result I need,

Result I needResult I need

PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Thamizh_hfhs 

DAX looks good, please check 'Surgeries'[Surgeries#] and 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#] both are numeric datatype fields.
Try below dax

$ Amt Impact due to Volumes =
VAR AvgCPC12months =
    SUMX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            Surgeries,
            'Surgeries'[Operating Unit],
            'Surgeries'[PrimaryService],
            'Surgeries'[PrimaryProcedureDescription]
        ),
        'Surgeries'[Variances#] * 'CPC'[Last 12 months Avg CPC]
    )
VAR AvgCPCCurrentMonth =
    SUMX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            Surgeries,
            'Surgeries'[Operating Unit],
            'Surgeries'[PrimaryService],
            'Surgeries'[PrimaryProcedureDescription]
        ),
        'Surgeries'[Variances#] * 'CPC'[Avg Cost per Case]
    )
RETURN
    SWITCH(
 TRUE(),
        'Surgeries'[Surgeries#] = 0 && 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#] <> 0,
        AvgCPC12months,
        AvgCPCCurrentMonth
    )

Let me know if that works for you

If your requirement is solved, please mark THIS ANSWER as SOLUTION ✔️ and help other users find the solution quickly. Please hit the Thumbs Up 👍 button if this comment helps you.

Thanks
Pijush
Linkedin

I found a solution. I created a simple measure with the IF statement. 

$ Amt Impact Criteria = IF('Surgeries'[Surgeries#] = 0 && 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#] <> 0, 'Surgeries'[Variance#] * 'CPC'[Last 12 months Avg CPC], 'Surgeries'[Variance#] * 'CPC'[Avg Cost per Case])

And then I modified the existing DAX as follows

$ Amt Impact due to Volumes = SUMX(SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE(CALCULATETABLE('Surgeries', ALL(DimDate)), DATESINPERIOD('DimDate'[Date], MAX('DimDate'[Date]), -12, MONTH)), 'Surgeries'[DepartmentCenter], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryService], 'Surgeries'[PrimaryProcedureDescription]),'Surgeries'[$ Amt Impact Criteria])

Thanks everyone for your help!!

I have BLANKS( ) or NULL in the Surgeries# impacting the DAX. I tried replacing the Surgeries# = 0 with BLANK or " " or "0" in the DAX. None of them worked. 

Both 'Surgeries'[Surgeries#] and 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#]  are decimal numbers and they both are measures. 

The DAX you suggested didn't work. Same problem again. I don't see any results for the procedures with the following condition 

'Surgeries'[Surgeries#] = 0 && 'Surgeries'[Last 12 Months Avg#] <> 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.