Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rahmajani
Frequent Visitor

Use second slicer to select data in graph - Not displaying how I want it to

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have searched and tried just about everything, and am not having any luck. I am new to Power BI and I have created a chart which has 3 sets of data, and which is working off a slicer. My aim is to have 2 slicers, so select the program name (which is working correctly), select 1 of the 3 types of data sets you would like to see in the chart (which is where I am having an issue).

When I create a second slicer, it is showing me the values of the columns rather than showing the column name where I was hoping you can click on 1 of the 3, and the chart will display that data. I have even tried the New Parameter feature which sits under the 'Modelling' tab and thought I almost had it, but I don't know if I'm missing a simple step? I have attached a screenshot of my report which I've set up in Power BI, but essentially my aim is to have 'Combined Audience, 'Combined Peak Audience' and 'Combined Reach' as options in the second slicer so only 1 of the 3 is displayed in the graph. Having 3 seperate charts is not an option for this report. If you see my screenshot you will see the second slicer just has values?

Power BI Screenshot - Slicer Issue.png

If anyone has any insight into how I can make this possible, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you so much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @rahmajani 

try wit filed Parameter under Modeling tab. Bt for Metrics(Numeric Fileds) you have to create meaure for that. because field parameter does take direct Numeric column so for that create simple 3 measures:
Combine Audience= Sum(combine audience)
Peak Audience= Sum(Peak Audience)

Combine Reach= Sum(Combine Reach)

Then take Field parameter drag and drop all 3 measures and create slicer.
make sure you take slicer as single select for better visualization.

Uzi2019_0-1711089694171.png

Uzi2019_1-1711089735955.png

take all measures not direct columns.
then take parameter value in Y axis of chart

Uzi2019_2-1711089887429.pngUzi2019_3-1711089905101.png

as you can see by selecting different value cahrt changes.

I hope I naswered your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

View solution in original post

Hi @rahmajani 
Dont drag all 3 measures into your chart.

Just take field parameter value in your y axis. Not all 3 measures.

Uzi2019_0-1711104185812.png

I hope I answered your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @rahmajani 

try wit filed Parameter under Modeling tab. Bt for Metrics(Numeric Fileds) you have to create meaure for that. because field parameter does take direct Numeric column so for that create simple 3 measures:
Combine Audience= Sum(combine audience)
Peak Audience= Sum(Peak Audience)

Combine Reach= Sum(Combine Reach)

Then take Field parameter drag and drop all 3 measures and create slicer.
make sure you take slicer as single select for better visualization.

Uzi2019_0-1711089694171.png

Uzi2019_1-1711089735955.png

take all measures not direct columns.
then take parameter value in Y axis of chart

Uzi2019_2-1711089887429.pngUzi2019_3-1711089905101.png

as you can see by selecting different value cahrt changes.

I hope I naswered your question!

Hi @Uzi2019,

Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate your time. I followed your steps however each time I click on 1 of the 3 options in the slicer, nothing is happening. I have dragged all 3 measures into my chart so currently all 3 'Data Types' are displayed in the chart. Could there be something else I need to do in the model view? Please see screenshots of the report and model view lay out.

I can't thank you enough and I really appreciate your help with trying to resolve this.

View when second slicer is selected in reportView when second slicer is selected in reportModel view of all my data. Am I missing a step here?Model view of all my data. Am I missing a step here?View when the chart is selected with the measure inserted as the Y axisView when the chart is selected with the measure inserted as the Y axis

Hi @rahmajani 
Dont drag all 3 measures into your chart.

Just take field parameter value in your y axis. Not all 3 measures.

Uzi2019_0-1711104185812.png

I hope I answered your question!

It worked 😃 Sorry I misunderstood in the first reply. Again, thank you so much!! I really appreciate it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.