Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Juliecal73
Helper III
Helper III

Unable to select highest hierarchy date in bar chart visual

Hi,

Has anyone come across the situation where you have a normal bar chart with date heirarchy along X and values up Y with level expand enabled to display Month, Qtr and Year. If I am on any of the lower levels like Qtr or Month, I can select the Year value and it responds accordingly which also allows for a drill-through that I have set up with the dates and value (I have buttons enabled/disabled for drill-through to be effective on the axis values).

Juliecal73_2-1605802491145.pngJuliecal73_3-1605802516592.png

However, if I collapse the hierarchy to the Year only level, I am not able to select the year and not able to drill-through with my buttons either since the year does not behave as expected when slected.

Lower levels I can select Year (bold 2020 while other bars are faded for 2021).

Juliecal73_0-1605802041295.png

Year level I cannot select the year (not bold and bars not faded for 2021). Interestingly enough I just saw that if i select the year in the lower level, then collapse, then the year remains filtered, but I still cannot drill-through

Juliecal73_1-1605802125955.png

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Juliecal73,

Sure, I try to create some dummy data and test with a similar chart and graph.

>>However, if I collapse the hierarchy to the Year only level, I am not able to select the year and not able to drill-through with my buttons either since the year does not behave as expected when slected.

Yes, I think this is works as expected, drill feature not available when you use single fields of hierarchy.

>>Year level I cannot select the year (not bold and bars not faded for 2021).

Based on my test, you can only pick up legends types when you work on the top level. (I think the click event is used to pick the detailed items instead of direct get multiple items. If you remove legend fields, the click function will select data bars of year level)

BTW, you can 'hold on' the 'control' key to use the mouse to select a range of data bars.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Juliecal73,

Sure, I try to create some dummy data and test with a similar chart and graph.

>>However, if I collapse the hierarchy to the Year only level, I am not able to select the year and not able to drill-through with my buttons either since the year does not behave as expected when slected.

Yes, I think this is works as expected, drill feature not available when you use single fields of hierarchy.

>>Year level I cannot select the year (not bold and bars not faded for 2021).

Based on my test, you can only pick up legends types when you work on the top level. (I think the click event is used to pick the detailed items instead of direct get multiple items. If you remove legend fields, the click function will select data bars of year level)

BTW, you can 'hold on' the 'control' key to use the mouse to select a range of data bars.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

Thanks for checking this out and sharing your experience with it too. At least now I know it's not a defect with mine and just expected.

Thanks also for the reminder of the ctrl-click on the bars, I had not considered that, only did it with values 🙂

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Juliecal73,

What type of drill features are you test? Have you works with 'drill to next level' or 'switch between hierarchy levels'? Did these hierarchy fields really exist in your charts or your just test with single hierarchy parts?
BTW, it will help if you share a sample pbix file to test.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I assume when you say 'switch between hierarchy levels' you mean the Expand feature? I am using Expand.

Also unsure of your second question, but the fields actually exist in my chart.

I'm unable to share this .pbix as it has internal data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.