Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

grusso83
Regular Visitor

Unable to login to my account in the Power BI Desktop

I can't get to login my power bi account in the desktop app.

The error says as follows

power bi desktop unable to sign in
WAM Error
Error Code: 2156265475
Error Message: ApiContractViolation
WAM Error Message: (pii)
Internal Error Code: 557973634
Is Retryable: false Possible causes:
- Invalid redirect uri - ensure you have configured the following url in the AAD portal App Registration: ms-appx-
web://microsoft.aad.brokenplugin/7f6af8a-fedc-4b08-8b4e-37c4d127b6cf
- No Internet connection:
Please see https://aka.ms/msal-net-wam for details about Windows Broker Integration

I tried the following:
* deleting the cache and temp files

* disabling antivirus and firewall

*using another internet connection

*Adding a registry value to enable Windows Broker.

Nothing seems to work. It used to work wonderfully... I can't tell what has changed.

23 REPLIES 23
KapilChandrawal

Hello everyone,

I've encountered with the same issue at the beginning. "The mistake we were making was quite simple, we are supposed to enter our email id instead of microsoft id followed by microsoft developer id & passwords."

Hope this helps!!! 🙂

Best Regards,

Kapil Chandrawal

Hlib

Don't see any solutions for personal accounts. If you don't want to give an opportunity to sign in with a personal account in the free edition, just hide this button or show correct error messages. Otherwise, you show your users, that you can't fix a critical bug in the app

Parth1

I was also facing the same problem.

But with the instruction of @ross27, I have found the solution. 

Try once it's effective. 

ross27
Advocate II
Advocate II

I managed to get this to work in the end.  On the login pop-up I chose the "Use a different account/Work or school account" option and then when I got to the stay signed-in pop-up I unchecked the "allow my org to manage my device" option and clicked on "sign in to this app only".  I had to do all this twice, but after that everything seems to working.  Hope this helps someone!

Thanks this is clearly helpful for all for this particular problem 

when i get into the "use a different account/work or school account" option, i don't get the stay signed-in pop-up. what should i do ?

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @grusso83 

Make sure you're signed in to Power BI with your work or school account, you can refer to the following link.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/service-self-service-signup-for-power-bi#tro...

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nadiaspi
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue. Did you solve the problem?

Thanks

Hi there! I was having the same issue. I opened Word and signed in there. When I opened Power Bi and clicked Sign In I entered the email, like I had been doing before when getting the problem, and when it came to that popup to choose the account associated with the email I saw two options this time, I clicked on the one that said Work or School Account under the email and it logged me in! 

I hope that made sense haha. Let me know if you have issues and I can try to get some screenshots 🙂

Hi,

Thank you @MaddieMoo  for your response. Unfortunately I can't use the same account for MS Office and PowerBI, probably the issue originated from this.
For me solution was to rollback to April 2023 version, as @ross27 suggested.

Thank you very much,@MaddieMoo. The solution worked. No more errors.

These are the steps I followed. 

1. Logged into Excel with my Work email address. 

2. Installed the May 2023 version of Power BI(64 bit)

3. After installation, no sign in screen appeared and Power BI desktop was not signed in

4. I signed in using Work/School email address and signed in without any problem.

Thanks a lot for the solution.

ok i will try this later! will give some feedback.. 

hopefully it will work 🤞

I'm going to try it out. 

I will definitely need screenshot. 

jpBlue
Frequent Visitor

Im facing the same issue...  😖 i cant login my outlook account with gmail as primary email.... anyone? I really need this to work 😥

Pady
Helper II
Helper II

I too have the same problem

ross27
Advocate II
Advocate II

In my case the problem was introduced in the May 2023 update to PBI desktop - specifically 2.117.984.0 64-bit.

Rolling back to April 2023 version 2.116.966.0 fixed the issue

Oluwaseyifunmi

I'm also getting the same error. Help pls

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @grusso83 

As you can see from the error message, it indicates that it may be an error caused by your Invalid redirect URI, you can check whether the URI is correct, you can refer to the following link.

Redirect URI (reply URL) restrictions - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How is this a solution to the problem?
I have the same issue when I click Publish for a Power BI dashboard.

Click publish,

promted to enter email, enter email,

prompted to sign in to MS, choose correct account, click continue,

prompted to sign in to MS again, choose correct account again, click continue again,

receive error:

Unable to sign in
WAM Error

Error code 2156265475

The link you provided does nothing for this error; it doesn't even provide basic info or troubleshooting.

Exactly the same error and worndering if anyone cares about customer service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.