Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Joe_T

Title: Seeking Help: Creating Dynamic Measures Based on Time Intervals

Hi Power BI Community,

I'm reaching out to seek assistance with creating dynamic measures in Power BI based on time intervals.

Context: I have a dataset named "TIM Tracker (New)" containing information about tasks, including their start and finish times. Additionally, I have generated a table named "Intervals" that lists all 48 30-minute intervals throughout a 24-hour day.

Objective: I need to create dynamic measures for each interval to calculate:

1. Total minutes worked per task within each interval.
  2. Total count of tasks within each interval.

I have attempted to create measures manually for each interval, but due to the large number of measures required (96), this process is becoming time-consuming and inefficient.

Request for Assistance: I'm seeking guidance on how to dynamically generate these measures based on the existing context. Specifically, I need assistance with DAX expressions or any other techniques that can automate the creation of measures for each interval.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joe_T ,

Can you please share a pbix or some dummy data that keep the raw data structure with expected results? It should help us clarify your scenario and test to coding formula.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Good Morning Xiaoxin,

Yes no problem thanks for looking into this. Please see below for the raw data with names hidden.

Joe_T_0-1715673401067.png

Columns 1-7 is the data i recieve from the warehouse, the interval columns are being pulled, but these were created in the source itself in excel by counting minutes within each interval. This gives me total minutes and count of task per interval (where mins are above 0).

Please also see below for the gantt style chart i have made in excel. As you can see the interval columns are conditional formatted to highlight active intervals, but i only know how to do this in power bi by creating a measure for each individual column.
Top view:

Joe_T_1-1715673705548.png

Bottom view:

Joe_T_2-1715674202633.png

For additional context, incase you can help in another way, I want to find out the volume of activity in our warehouse in a standard day. Durations, task volume and start times can then be used to create an efficient recruitment and staffing structure for what we need now, and will enhance my forecasting report (seperate to this), so i can forecast required staffing levels down the line. 
We are a business that receives, sorts, stores and releases goods for customers ranging from shoes, toys, to pet food-so forecasting is vital for our recruitment as several customers are seasonal and our reaction time needs to be fast.

If there is any other information you require, please let me know and i will happily share.

Kind regards,

Joe

HI @Joe_T,

I'd like to suggest you create a table with time ranges based on interval.

NewTable =
GENERATESERIES ( TIME ( 0, 0, 0 ), TIME ( 23, 59, 59 ), TIME ( 0, 15, 0 ) )

1.png

Then you can use this on the matrix column fields and write a measure expression to check the current time value and return flag if the current value is included in the time ranges that defined on your table start, end time fields.

Flag =
VAR currTime =
    MAX ( NewTable[Value] )
RETURN
    IF (
        currTime >= MIN ( Table1[Start Time] )
            && currTime <= MAX ( Table1[End Time] ),
    )

After these steps, you can write a formula return color code based on the above flag values to use on 'conditional formatting' feature background color to highlight matched records.

Apply conditional table formatting in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Good Morning,

Thanks for your reply, i have created the interval table and the measure (creating the measure within the Task table). I haven't created a relationship between the two whihc might be the issue but  just wanted to share the below display, as the flag measure is returning blanks for every task line as per the below:

Joe_T_0-1715848110342.png

Please let me know if you know why that is.

Many Thanks,

Joe

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Joe_T , You have to create a static interval as column and use that in slicer

Try a new column like

30 Min Interval =
VAR BaseTime = TIMEVALUE('Table'[DateTimeColumn])
VAR TotalHoursSinceMidnight = HOUR(BaseTime) + MINUTE(BaseTime) / 60.0
VAR RoundedHours = FLOOR(TotalHoursSinceMidnight, 0.5)
RETURN
BaseDate + TIME(HOUR(RoundedHours), MINUTE(RoundedHours * 60), SECOND(0))

@amitchandak Thanks for the reply i apprciate your help. This is a solution for part of my query, the part i'm still unsure about relates to visualy presenting this data in a Gantt style chart so durations can be seen across a 24 hour day. I don't know if you can help- i can do this in excel, just not power bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.