Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MStark
Helper III
Helper III

Time Exporting with Date

Why is my column from Power BI exporting to excel as text YY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS? The column is formatted as Time in Power BI and is showing correctly in the visual. Its just when I export is showing in the wrong format

MStark_0-1711460102726.png

MStark_2-1711460164902.png

Any help/tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @v-jianpeng-msft 

I found that if you export from Power BI online it exports correctly. This is only an issue when using BI Desktop. For now, I will continue using the online version so it exports correctly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks your solution @Kishore_KVN 

Hi, @MStark 

Pls is your current problem solved?

After my testing, if you click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the visual and select export data, there will indeed be a date prefix, as shown in the image below:

vjianpengmsft_0-1713248561833.png

vjianpengmsft_1-1713248614937.png

If you want to keep the format of the time, you can right-click in the table view and select the copy table function:

vjianpengmsft_2-1713248709386.png

Go to Excel and paste it:

vjianpengmsft_3-1713248753214.png

If your columns are not in the same table, you can create a calculated table, use the Summarize function or Addcolumn function to summarize the columns to be copied in a table, and then use the copy table function.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-jianpeng-msft 

I found that if you export from Power BI online it exports correctly. This is only an issue when using BI Desktop. For now, I will continue using the online version so it exports correctly

Kishore_KVN
Super User
Super User

Hello @MStark ,

As there is only time in that column it will add a generic date as prefix to make it as required, combine both date and time columns in Power BI then export it into excel which will give proper format. 

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly. Thank You!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.