Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

current_thing
Frequent Visitor

The column order in Data table isn't the same as in Power Query!

Hello friends,

I've been googling for a solution to no avail. I want the order of columns in data table view to be the same as it is in Power Query Editor. How can I force Data Table to display columns in the same order? It seems that the data table view is sorting columns by alphabet.

The data source is a csv file.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
paulfromhouston
Regular Visitor

if your table in Power Query is the right order, then you may use Append query to merge tables instead of using UNION. 

jefferson_rand

Same issue EXCEPT my columns in Data view in PBIX are not sorted alphabetically.  Rearranging the columns in Power Query has ZERO effect on the order displayed in Data view in the Data Model.  Worse, this is creating HAVOC in my Tabular Editor scripts, which assume a controllable and consistent colum order and are ordered as in the Data View, not as in the Power Query output.  This seems a BUG.  Any other ideas why this is happening?  I've not tried to delete and resource the table, since I've built measures, relationship etc. and I don't want to lose that.

The only solution I found is to disable load to model, then re-enable the load then repair and recreate the measures, relationships, visuals, etc!  ☹️

This is insanity - just spent 30 mins reorganising columns in the editor and it didn't translate to the table in the data load... I have about 50 columns so really need them organised correctly.  I can't disable and re-enable load, there are multiple calculated tables running of the table... ugh

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @current_thing,

In fact, the current power bi data model table does not include row and column index.
If you want to keep the query table sorting orders, you can add an index to your table to remark the current order and use it as 'sort order column' to help keep table structure in the data model.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

You cannot change the order of columns in the Field well in Power BI Desktop. Yes, it is alphabetical.

I agree with you, I hate it. 

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Once again $msft is unable to live up to the even low expectation 🙄

Have you tried voting on the idea at the Ideas forum?

Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com)

This item has all of 10 votes. There are ideas with upwards of 7,000 that are still "Under Review".

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you, OK, I voted, but this is really a bug! I'm going to put in a support ticket and suggest that they fix it. I can't imagine what the benefit is to the current system, but there are plenty of problems with it.

Can I ask, what was the response? Status so far?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.