Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mike2024

Running Total using tables not in relationship

Measure with data type number: Paid USD - Running Total =

var LastAdate = CALCULATE(max(movement_view[Development Advised Date]),all(movement_view))

return

if(SELECTEDVALUE(Development[Development Month])> LastAdate,BLANK(),

CALCULATE([Paid],

FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Development),

Development[Development Month]<=LastAdate

)))

Column with data type number: movement_view[Development Advised Date] =

((YEAR(movement_view[Advised Date]) - movement_view[YOA]) * 12) + MONTH(movement_view[Advised Date])  

Measure with data type number:Paid=

CALCULATE(  

SUM(movement_view[PaidTotal]),  

FILTER(  

movement_view,  

movement_view[Advised Date] <= [MaxDate]

&& movement_view[Advised Date] >= [MinDate]

)  

)

Measure with data type date: MaxDate = Max('calendar'[Date])

Measure with data type date: MinDate = Min('calendar'[Date])

Tables calendar, movement_view and Development are not connected via any relationship and should not be connected via a relationship as I would like to use calender to date and Development as an unconnected dimension tables.

Paid is calculating the [PaidTotal] but it is not showing as a running total and it's displaying a total flat line to the max Development[Development Month] in the whole table despite it being lower than the max movement_view[Development Advised Date] when 'calendar[Date] slicer is used.

I want Paid to calculate the running total for [PaidTotal] up to the max movement_view[Development Advised Date] when 'calendar'[Date] slicer is used

Mike2024_1-1714232217445.png

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).

Do not include sensitive information or anything not related to the issue or question.

If you are unsure how to upload data please refer to https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Want faster answers? https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

'calendar' table is a table, with 1 column, that list dates between 2009 to today

Development table is a table, with 1 column, development=

GENERATESERIES(1,DATEDIFF(min('calendar'[Date]),max('calendar'[Date]), Month))

movement_view table is as below
Advised Date [DD/MM/YYYY]YOAPaidDevelopment Advised Date
01/01/20092009101
05/03/2009200953
09/05/20092009205
01/01/20102010151
02/02/20102010102
05/02/2010201052
01/01/201020092013
06/02/201020092514
05/05/20102010305

My expected outcome, is that when i put development on a line graph visual x-axis, YOA as the legend, Running total paid as the value, i would get a running total of the paid, per each YOA, up to the max Development Advised Date. In this case, YOA 2009 would have a line up to 14 while 2010 would have a line up to 5 on the x-axis. when i use 'calendar[Date] as a slicer, for example max value 31/01/2010, the YOA 2009 would have a line up to 13 while 2010 would have a line up to 1 on the x-axis

lbendlin_0-1714401604887.png

You would need to wire your Advised date into the calendar table if you want to filter the calendar.

Thanks for your response. Is it not possible to have the running total based on the max and min of the calendar date? I was hoping to keep the calendar table an unconnected dimension table, not linked via a relationship. Also the x-axis should be the development periods

not sure how that would look like.  Can you share a mockup?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.