Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

obriaincian
Resolver I
Resolver I

POWER BI Service Refresh issue - Refresh is not supported for datasets with a calculated table

Hi All,

I have a build dashboard which connects to a Power BI Dataset.

In Power BI desktop the dashboard refreshes whichout any issue however once the dashboard is published I get the following error:

Refresh is not supported for datasets with a calculated table or calculated column that depends on a table which references Analysis Services using DirectQuery

I have seen that this may be a bug, can anyone offer up a solution? Not sure how to resolve the issue when it's not a problem in PBI desktop.

6 REPLIES 6
Nikeferrr

to resolve this problem is easy, you just need import the table on power query using analysis server component and put the correct server:

Nikeferrr_1-1698705929094.png

to find the correct server you can see on the schedule refresh page on power bi service, like this:

Nikeferrr_0-1698705355195.png

and after put the result on power query (dont forget put IMPORT)

Nikeferrr_2-1698705986116.png

in this example i selected a virtual table named "lojas tumelero"(but you can put any kind of table), and with this you can do what you need, and error doesn't happen anymore

Nikeferrr_3-1698706314200.png

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @obriaincian ,

Unfortunately it isn't supported with PBI dataset. It happened to me and the only way to have the report updated is to remove the calculated tables.

lgirouxbmc
Regular Visitor

It would be better if calculated tables WERE supported in this mode.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@obriaincian , Seem like you have created a table or calculated column, they are not supported in this mode. Refer the limitations

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/directquery-mode-ssas-tabular?vie...

"...table or calculated column, they are not supported in this mode"
From the same link you sent, one can read that:
Calculated tables are not supported in DirectQuery models, but calculated columns are.

I am having the same issue described in this topic, using only calculated columns from a table in DQ.

gv445
Frequent Visitor

Does this mean that any composite model that has a calculated local Date table will not work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.