Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gasdetect40
Frequent Visitor

PIE Chart - Counting Values

Good Day!

As seen in the pics below I want to count how 'Event Descriptions' there are and put them in a Pie Chart in Power BI. I have leanrt how to do it in Excel but with all my internet searching I'm failing to find anything to help me. Anyone got any ideas?

I just want the pie chart to refect how many times each gas alarm is seen.

Excel Sheet with Data and Pie ChartExcel Sheet with Data and Pie ChartPortion of my POwer BI dataPortion of my POwer BI data

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gasdetect40 

If you go to canvas view in Power BI Desktop, select a Pie Chart.  Drag the Event Description column into the Legend space and then drag the Event Description into the Value space.  Make sure to click the down arrow on the Event Description in the Values section and click Count.

TheoC_0-1646178972289.png

Hope this helps.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Gasdetect40 ,

Agree with @TheoC to simply use the summarize type of "Count" for Event type:

Eyelyn9_2-1646367504516.png

Or you could create a measure to calculate the count of each description:

Measure = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS('Table'),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Event description]))

Eyelyn9_1-1646367481161.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheoC ,

Of course! as you mentioned, COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ) is enough for this simple case. I'm just used to “fullfill” the measure in case there are some more complex situations. Sorry for the redundant operation😜

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gasdetect40 

If you go to canvas view in Power BI Desktop, select a Pie Chart.  Drag the Event Description column into the Legend space and then drag the Event Description into the Value space.  Make sure to click the down arrow on the Event Description in the Values section and click Count.

TheoC_0-1646372945885.png

Hope this helps.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

11 REPLIES 11
Whibley92
Helper II
Helper II

How would you do this for multiple columns? The columns were originally words in one cell but I split by delimiter and now have 4 columns. Some are blank as there was a 4 word choice limit in the question form.

Hi @Whibley92 

If you used "Split by Delimiter" then you are in Power Query.  With that in mind, you can use Power Query to "Pivot / Unpivot" the data you have and create one single column with multiple categories in that New Column.

• Select the four columns by holding down the Ctrl button and click on each column
  • Then use your mouse and right-click one of the selected column names.
  • Click the "Unpivot" option.

Now, go back to Canvas View in Power BI Desktop (i.e. out of Power Query).  Use the New Column as the category field, and you should be able to get the outcome you want.

Hope this helps.

Theo 🙂

Thanks yes I was worried about how it would affect other columns in the table, so I created a copy and then practiced on that.

Can you Pivot/Unpivot on selected columns within a large table?

@Whibley92  yeah, absolutely you can do it. But, as you mentioned, for large tables with many columns it can lead to data redundancy and duplication.  For example, if you created a measure such as COUNTROWS before the Pivot / Unpivot in Power Query, you will likely find that it will be a different result to that after the Pivot / Unpivot.  This is the same with other aggregation fucnctions such as SUM. 

One way to ensure you don't run into these issues is by structuring your model appropriately.  So, for example, if you are working on a large table that has a range of categorical data (imagine an Employee Master File in a single table, for example), there are columns associated with 1) Address, 2) Bank Accounts, 3) Personal attributes, etc.  For each category, you could create a table that has the Employee Id, Address Line 1, Address Line 2, Suburb / Region, State, Country, Postcode.  Similarly, with teh Bank Account details you could have the Employee Id, Bank Account Name, BSB Number, Bank Account Number, SWIFT, etc.  

Hopefully the above provides some additional context!

Cheers mate.

Theo

Gasdetect40
Frequent Visitor

Sorry everyone, I will get better at the 'reply as a solition' task. Thank you for all your help!

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gasdetect40 

TheoC_0-1646372945885.png

Hope this helps.

Theo 🙂

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheoC ,

Of course! as you mentioned, COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ) is enough for this simple case. I'm just used to “fullfill” the measure in case there are some more complex situations. Sorry for the redundant operation😜

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hi @v-eqin-msft 

Haha... I agree, measures are always fun to use and it makes sense in terms of more complex situations arising.  And your post was not redundant in any way, I just wanted to better understand the driver!!

Thanks heaps for explaining and all the best!

Theo 🙂

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Gasdetect40 ,

Agree with @TheoC to simply use the summarize type of "Count" for Event type:

Eyelyn9_2-1646367504516.png

Or you could create a measure to calculate the count of each description:

Measure = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS('Table'),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Event description]))

Eyelyn9_1-1646367481161.png

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-eqin-msft 

Thanks for the kind comments. 

With regard to your post, what has driven you to create a measure of that nature given that the Legend in the Pie Chart still needs to broken down using the Event Description field?  Would this not create unnecessary duplication / overkill?  

Thanks and look forward to better understanding the approach!  I would have thought, given that pie charts must be disected with something (i.e. the Event Description), if any measure was to be used, it would have just been "COUNTROWS ( 'Table' )" rather than integrating CALCULATE and ALLEXCEPT.

All the best!

Theo 🙂

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gasdetect40 

TheoC_0-1646178972289.png

Hope this helps.

Theo 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.