Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pascal_15
Regular Visitor

Line and stacked column chart - line not working with data

Hi,

new user here (of both the forums and Power BI). For some reason my last post was marked as spam which is hilarious seeing the front page/recent posts.

Result I want to achieve:

I want to show a graph with as columns the resources needed by projects per month (the different roles within the resources are stacked). As a line I want to show the available resources during those months. These are in the tables 'resources_needed' and 'resources_available'.

Disclaimer: I slightly changed my column names for clarity. In the examples they are both called 'Uren'. I renamed them for the purpose of this post to Hours_needed and Hours_available, I feel like its still self explanatory in the example beneath.

Resources available:

This table contains the name, role, date and hours of a resource (e.g. David is a projectmanager, and has 0 hours available in the month of januari 2024). I'm only using the data on monthly/yearly levels (so the day is not important).

Person_nameRole_availableDate_resourceHours_available
DavidProMan1-1-20240
SandrosBusArc1-1-20240
StefanSubMatExp1-1-2024120
HermanBusAna1-1-20240
David1ProMan1-1-20240
Stefan1SubMatExp1-1-202440
Hugo2BusAna1-1-20240
Linda2InfAna1-1-20240
Stefan2SubMatExp1-1-202440
JannetjeInfAna1-2-20240
PietSubMatExp1-2-202440
DavidProMan1-2-20240
SandrosBusArc1-2-20240
StefanSubMatExp1-2-202440
Jannetje1InfAna1-2-202480

Resources needed:

This table contains the project name, role needed, date when the resource is needed and hours the resource is needed (e.g. Proj1 needs an information analist (InfAna) for 64 hours in februari of 2024). Again, only using the data on monthly/yearly levels (so the day is not important).

Project_nameRole_neededDate_resourceHours_needed
Proj1InfAna1-2-202464
Proj1SubMatExp1-2-202464
Proj1BusAna1-2-202432
Proj1ProMan1-2-202416
Proj1BusArc1-3-202496
Proj1InfAna1-3-202464
Proj1SubMatExp1-3-202464
Proj2BusAna1-3-202432
Proj2ProMan1-3-202416
Proj2BusArc1-4-202496
Proj2InfAna1-4-202464
Proj2SubMatExp1-4-202464

My current problem:

When I use the line and stacked column chart it doesnt seem to work correctly. The stacked column part works just fine but when I put the line in it shows just a solid straight blue line with 'Sum of Hours' with the total sum of all the hours available as the value.

Pascal_15_1-1715249371429.png

When I create a line diagram of the available resources it works, beneath is a line graph where it shows 'Sum of hours available by month'. When I combine it within the stacked column it stops showing by month and just shows the 'sum of hours available'.

Pascal_15_0-1715249324466.png

As Im new I dont really have a clue as to what is happening. I have formatted my date fields similarly but I still feel like the combination of both date's on the x axis is going wrong somewhere maybe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The reason you get a flat line is that Power bi has no idea what to do with your line and it just makes it equal to everything (so if that value = 15, you'd see 15 for every role/date).

I'm thinking we can solve your issue by adjusting your tables and creating some relationships! We need some dimension tables. If you're unfamiliar, they're just tables that store attributes that define our big set of data.
Starting with the data you posted here we can make a role dimension table:

• Right click on your resources_needed table and duplicate it.
  • Rename 'Role_needed' to 'Role_available'
  • Select Append Queries and append the resources avaible table

Syk_0-1715263017642.png

• Since the column names match, all of your roles will now be in one column.
  • Select that column > right click the column header > remove other columns
    Syk_1-1715263192316.png

• Right click again, and remove duplicates.
  • Rename your column to Role and your table to something like Role_dimensionSyk_2-1715263261057.png

Then to create a date dimension table... (I like using this script since it gives you a number of useful columns https://radacad.com/all-in-one-script-to-create-date-dimension-in-power-bi-using-power-query)

• New Source > Blank Query > Open advanced editor and copy/paste the script >rename to date or whatever floats your boat.
  • Change the ToYear (near the top) to a date in the future

Syk_3-1715263502217.png

You should have 4 tables! Close & Apply to exit power query. 

For relationships:

• Open the Model view
  • Drag and drop from your dimension tables into your "Fact" tables (where your actual data is located)
  • For role, you only have one so relate it to each of the roles in each table
  • Do the same for date, just use the 'Date' at the top of the table
  • Model should look something like this
  • Syk_4-1715263729610.png

• Use your dimension tables in your visuals

Syk_5-1715263945859.png

Let me know how it goes!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Syk
Super User
Super User

Are these using 2 different tables?
I'm suspecting you are using these from the first table:

• Uren: for column values
  • Role available: for legend
  • Date resource: for x-axis

Then you're using Uren from the second table as your line? Do you have any relationships set up as well?

Yeah these are two different tables. There is no relation set between them as I didn't know what kind of relation would apply (no unique values are available in either table). I wanted to sort of indicate that both role and date were the same kind of variable but didn't know how to and whether that was necessary.

The data comes from the two different tables, reaources_needed and resources_available.

Im using this variables from the first table:

Hours_available (uren): y line

These from the second table:

hours_needed (uren): as column value

Role_needed: legend

Date_resource: x axis

The reason you get a flat line is that Power bi has no idea what to do with your line and it just makes it equal to everything (so if that value = 15, you'd see 15 for every role/date).

I'm thinking we can solve your issue by adjusting your tables and creating some relationships! We need some dimension tables. If you're unfamiliar, they're just tables that store attributes that define our big set of data.
Starting with the data you posted here we can make a role dimension table:

• Right click on your resources_needed table and duplicate it.
  • Rename 'Role_needed' to 'Role_available'
  • Select Append Queries and append the resources avaible table

Syk_0-1715263017642.png

• Since the column names match, all of your roles will now be in one column.
  • Select that column > right click the column header > remove other columns
    Syk_1-1715263192316.png

• Right click again, and remove duplicates.
  • Rename your column to Role and your table to something like Role_dimensionSyk_2-1715263261057.png

Then to create a date dimension table... (I like using this script since it gives you a number of useful columns https://radacad.com/all-in-one-script-to-create-date-dimension-in-power-bi-using-power-query)

• New Source > Blank Query > Open advanced editor and copy/paste the script >rename to date or whatever floats your boat.
  • Change the ToYear (near the top) to a date in the future

Syk_3-1715263502217.png

You should have 4 tables! Close & Apply to exit power query. 

For relationships:

• Open the Model view
  • Drag and drop from your dimension tables into your "Fact" tables (where your actual data is located)
  • For role, you only have one so relate it to each of the roles in each table
  • Do the same for date, just use the 'Date' at the top of the table
  • Model should look something like this
  • Syk_4-1715263729610.png

• Use your dimension tables in your visuals

Syk_5-1715263945859.png

Let me know how it goes!

Crazy stuff, thanks for your thorough reply, it really helped me get a better grasp of the workings of power bi and the relational model. Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.