Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jjfr

Issue with sorting Months by MonthNumber without duplicates in Concatenate Formula

Hi All,

I have a Calendar table set up using DAX: 

jjfr_0-1716172113991.png

The table shows Month Names in the 'Month' field, and the relevant numerical value (1-12) in the MonthNumber field.

I've now added a Quick Measure ('Slicer List of Month Values') to concatenate selected month names from a slicer to use in a dymanic page heading. I'm running into an issue when I try to amend the code, to order by MonthNumber instead of Month Name (which is sorting alphabetically). The coding screen does not seem to recognise MonthNumber as a field, and when I include it I get the following error message: "A single value for column 'MonthNumber' in table 'Calendar' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

jjfr_2-1716172341065.png

I'm new to PowerBI and struggling to figure out what the issue is here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J

Updated to add: I realised I was unable to reference MonthNumber as I was originally referencing the single 'Month' column, rather than the full 'Calendar' table at the start of the Concatenate expression. If I change VALUES('Calendar'[Month]) to VALUES('Calendar') instead, I am able to add a sort by MonthNumber, however that results in duplicate values being displayed (e.g. January, January, January). Are there any suggestions for getting around this? I tried to use DISTINCT but may not be implementing it correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @jjfr ,

The sort by field must also be included in the virtual table. The virtual table inside TOPN should also be sorted by that field. Try this:

List of Month Short values =
VAR __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT =
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Dates'[Month Short] )
VAR __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW = 3
RETURN
    IF (
        __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT > __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
        CONCATENATE (
            CONCATENATEX (
                TOPN (
                    __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
                    SUMMARIZE ( Dates, 'Dates'[Month Short], Dates[Month Number] ),
                    [Month Number], ASC
                ),
                [Month Short],
                ", ",
                [Month Number], ASC
            ),
            ", etc."
        ),
        CONCATENATEX (
            [Month Short],
            ", ",
            [Month Number], ASC
        )
    )

danextian_0-1716182872860.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @jjfr ,

The sort by field must also be included in the virtual table. The virtual table inside TOPN should also be sorted by that field. Try this:

List of Month Short values =
VAR __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT =
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Dates'[Month Short] )
VAR __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW = 3
RETURN
    IF (
        __DISTINCT_VALUES_COUNT > __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
        CONCATENATE (
            CONCATENATEX (
                TOPN (
                    __MAX_VALUES_TO_SHOW,
                    [Month Number], ASC
                ),
                [Month Short],
                ", ",
                [Month Number], ASC
            ),
            ", etc."
        ),
        CONCATENATEX (
            [Month Short],
            ", ",
            [Month Number], ASC
        )
    )

danextian_0-1716182872860.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

That worked perfectly @danextian! Thanks so much for your help, can't tell you how much it's appreciated.

jjfr

Thanks very much for your suggestion @AnalyticPulse. I'm not actually having an issue with visalisations though. At the moment I've been able to sort them all by MonthNumber while displaying the Month Name. 

I only seem to be having this issue with the concatenate formula. But I need it this formula to work to generate the list of Months selected for my report as a string. Do you have any suggestions on why my concatenate formula might not be working? 

AnalyticPulse
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @jjfr 

if you just want to sort the month to show on visual you can follow different approach, add new column for sorting with combination of year and month and sort your column based on this new yearmonth order column. Then in report visual sort that visual data based on the month asc by clicking three dots of the visual. 

Learn Power BI free:

https://analyticpulse.blogspot.com

Learn Power BI free

DAX Functions

Powerbi Visualisation

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.