Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AmstutzG1
Frequent Visitor

How to build dynamic ranges to filter on via the filter pane

Hi all,

I am trying to achieve a situation where a user has a table with the following columns (more in actuality but for this purpose these three will suffice): College and Subgroup are multi-select slicers where the table will be filtered accordingly.

AmstutzG1_0-1703781289418.png

I would like the user to be able to use the filter pane to narrow down the selection of "EnrollmentCount" based on pre-fabricated bins of varying ranges (these bins and ranges are determined at the subgroup level outside of Power BI, so University 1 has 3 bins for female, 3 different bins for male, etc.) When placing the "range" column on the filter pane, there are two options: a page-level filter and a visual-level filter (on the table). It seems like using the visual-level filter is the option here, because it reacts with the selections in the slicer pane (see the two images below):

AmstutzG1_1-1703784261561.pngAmstutzG1_2-1703784283427.png

However, when I try and select mulitple subgroups, say male and female, you get something like this:

AmstutzG1_3-1703784451704.png

Is there anyway to dynamically create these ranges within power bi that would react to the choosing of multiple subgroups, or any other idea on how to achieve this filtering by a set of binned values? Here is a link to the report on Google Drive, hopefully it works. If not, I can post the sample data file.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandakThank you for your reply! I have reviewed your proposed solution, but I don't believe this will help in my case. Firstly, the values you have for creating the bins are not exaclty dynamic in the way that I was looking for. Also, since these are measures, I don't believe they will work properly in the filter pane.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.