Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

minkim1

How do I add a stable total for other dynamic data sets to depend on?

Currently I'm working on a new dashboard with set of data which gets updated twice a week filtered for unhealthy devices.

The total row of devices would equate to about 30,000, and only about 10% of this total are the filtered unhealthy devices.

On this dashboard, I'm trying to track the % of the total unhealthy devices decreasing over time with a new set of report being added twice a week.

However, working with the total device report without the unhealthy ones pre-filtered means I will be adding on about 30,000 rows of data twice of week, and I don't think that's scalable in the long run.

What I want to do is add a stable total of this 30,000 devices (since this count doesn't change all that much) from another simple Excel spreadsheet to my dashboard and allow other data sets to depend on it.

Below is the ideal tracking chart that I have in mind:

Device GroupsDateTotal DevicesUnhealthy Devices%
Group 15/1/2430000300010%

Group 1

5/3/243000027009%
Group 25/1/2410000100010%
Group 25/3/24100008008%
Group 35/1/24500050010%

So the total devices would come from a stable set of number for each device group which gets updated infrequently and manually, while unhealthy device counts will be updated twice a week.

Is this something possible for me to achieve?

Currently, I know how to add a stable set of data as mentioned above, but the data sets are independent of each other if they were used on a same chart like the Pie Chart: a new total is displayed (30000 total devices + 3000 unhealthy devices) and that's an incorrect representation of the data that I have.

I'm not sure if I explained my situation properly but let me know if I can clarify or elaborate anything. Thank you, in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@minkim1 Sure, just create an Enter Data query, 

Group1 30000
Group2 30000
Group3 10000

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

I apprecaite the quick response. However, when I Enter Data to do what you've suggested on your reply (let's call it Group Total), if I were to use it on a chart along with my Unhealthy Device total, the two data would be completely independent of each other.

On the pie chart, it would show:

Group 1 Total: 30000

Group 1 Unhealthy Device: 3000

Chart Total: 33000

@minkim1 You would create a relationship between the two tables based on Group I would imagine.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.