Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SpectorEvya

How can I make it so that when I select data using the slicer I can see the average

I am creating a dashboard for a school project but have encountered an issue that I am unable to overcome.

SpectorEvya_0-1710954407999.png

Below is a description of my dashboard. Its goal is to present information about a student (using fake information). I have created a graph to monitor the average of 3 tests, the total study time (1-4 hours), time absent, and if the student has failed in the past.

Currently, when I click on one of the graphs, for example, the study time, it highlights new data and also shows the average data of all students. For example, if I click on the 4 hours in the "hours studied" graph, it creates a new average while maintaining the total average in the background.

SpectorEvya_1-1710954621362.png

However, when I use the slicer to choose a specific student, it only shows that student's data.

SpectorEvya_3-1710954952356.png

How can I make it so that when I choose a specific student, it still shows the total average in the background as it does when I click on other graphs?

thanks for the helpers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@SpectorEvya 

this is how slicers work. 

slicers doesnt support highlighting other visuals 

you can see it when checking visual interaction : 

Daniel29195_0-1710963507258.png

when you filter from a slicer, the only option is filter on the visual 

however you filter from visual , you can see that you have 2 options :  filter and highlight 

Daniel29195_1-1710963551705.png

hope this makes sense. 

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🙏

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@SpectorEvya 

this is how slicers work. 

slicers doesnt support highlighting other visuals 

you can see it when checking visual interaction : 

Daniel29195_0-1710963507258.png

when you filter from a slicer, the only option is filter on the visual 

however you filter from visual , you can see that you have 2 options :  filter and highlight 

Daniel29195_1-1710963551705.png

hope this makes sense. 

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🙏

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.