Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Kent_10
Frequent Visitor

How Power BI to connect Azure File Share?

Hi all, I have question about how to allow Power BI to connect Azure File Share? I checked at Power BI Desktop > go to Home tab > select "Get Data" dropdown button > select "More.." button > prompted window to display all Get data connectors. Unfortunately, inside does not have option for Azure File Share.

From here I found one similar post that saying can mount file share to local File Explorer, here is the page link: Mount SMB Azure file share on Windows. In this documentation, under "Mount the Azure file share" section, I got issue at Step 8 and cannot proceed to next. I'm not sure where should put the script to run. I tried to paste in PowerShell command screen, I got error message something related to system error 67.

Moreover, I also tried to run test connection command. First test connection command is with port 445, I failed and got status DestinationHostUnreachable. While, second test connection command is with port 443, I managed to get successfully to ping. Then, I just try to continue with the documentation, under "Mount the Azure file share with File Explorer" section, I unable to can see the mounted file after insert my credentials info and UNC path.

If there is other methods for me to try out this, kindly share here. PS: I'm new beginner of this Power BI and Azure services. 😁

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
FlorentinaBacz

I have just a shot question. Everything works but with only one file in the folder. I want to include the new file in calculation automatically. What should I do when I have new files in the Azure subfolder daily with new name but in same format?

markmich99

Thanks for the pointers.  I can make this work - for Power BI on the desktop.  But when I publish it to my Power BI workspace, it will not refresh.  I get this error:

error image.png

 The more information points me to this page, which appears to be my issue, as the graphic matches the graphic that I see when performing the same operation

error image 2.png

It seem odd that through the Power BI workspaces I can connect to some Azure resources (e.g., blob storage) but not others, like this one.  Is there a solution or a workaround for this?

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

To connect Power BI to an Azure File Share, you need to follow several steps. Here's a guide to help you do that:

1. Set up Your Azure File Share:

• Make sure you have an Azure File Share created in your Azure storage account.

2. Prepare Your Azure File Share:

• Upload the data files or content you want to access in Power BI to your Azure File Share.

3. Create a Connection in Power BI:

• Open Power BI Desktop.

• Go to the "Home" tab.

• Click on "Get Data."

• In the "Get Data" window, select "File" from the list of data sources.

• Choose "Folder" and click "Connect."

4. Configure the Folder Path:

• In the "Folder" dialog box, enter the UNC path to your Azure File Share. The UNC path should be in the format: \\<storage_account_name>.file.core.windows.net\<share_name>\<folder>

• Click "OK."

5. Configure the Connection:

• You'll be prompted to provide your Azure storage account name and the storage account key (or use a shared access signature) to authenticate. You can choose either method depending on your security requirements.

• Once authenticated, you should be able to see the contents of your Azure File Share.

6. Load Your Data:

• Select the data files or folders you want to use in Power BI, and then click "Load" to import the data into your Power BI model.

7. Transform Data (if necessary):

• Depending on your data, you might need to apply data transformation steps using Power Query within Power BI to shape your data as needed.

8. Build Your Report:

• With the data loaded, you can now build your Power BI report and create visualizations.

It's important to note that while you can connect to Azure File Shares directly from Power BI, it may require some familiarity with Azure and Power BI, particularly regarding authentication and data transformation steps.

Also, ensure that your Azure File Share is properly secured, and you follow best practices for managing access and credentials, especially if your Power BI report will be shared with others.

Hi @123abc ,

Thanks for your prompted solution. At Step 4 Configure the Folder Path, are you trying to say this the Folder window to insert the UNC path? Please refer to this screenshot below.

Kent_10_0-1694582825922.png

I tried it, I got one error window showed that "Details: "We got the IO error '53' while trying to access the path '\\XXX.file.core.windows.net\mysharedfilename\folderName\*'." Just to share with you, I did not put any symbol character after my folder name. My path is same format as what you shared, but after I clicked "Connect" button then appear this error.

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

I see that you encountered an error while trying to configure the Folder Path in Power BI when connecting to the Azure File Share. The error message "IO error '53'" typically indicates a network-related issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow to resolve this issue:

1. **Check Network Connectivity**:
- Ensure that your computer has internet access and can reach Azure services. If you are behind a firewall or proxy, make sure it's not blocking access to Azure.

2. **UNC Path Format**:
- Ensure that the UNC path you are using is in the correct format: `\\<storageaccount>.file.core.windows.net\<sharename>\<foldername>`. Verify that there are no typos in the path.

3. **Firewall Rules**:
- Verify that your Azure Storage account's firewall rules allow access from your IP address or network range. You may need to add your local IP address to the allowed list.

4. **Access Key**:
- Ensure that you have the correct access key for your Azure Storage account. You need the access key to access the Azure File Share.

5. **Shared Access Signature (SAS)**:
- Alternatively, you can try using a Shared Access Signature (SAS) URL for the Azure File Share. SAS URLs provide time-limited access to your data. You can generate a SAS URL from the Azure Portal and use it as the Folder Path in Power BI.

6. **Firewall or Anti-virus Software**:
- Temporarily disable any firewall or anti-virus software that might be interfering with the connection. Be sure to re-enable it after testing.

7. **Power BI Updates**:
- Ensure that your Power BI Desktop application is up to date. Sometimes, issues are resolved in newer versions.

8. **Power BI Service**:
- If you are able to establish a connection in Power BI Desktop but encounter issues when publishing to Power BI Service, make sure that the same UNC path and credentials are configured in the dataset settings in Power BI Service.

9. **Consult Azure Support**:
- If the issue persists, and you've checked all the settings and configurations, consider reaching out to Azure Support for assistance with Azure File Share connectivity.

Remember to handle access credentials, such as access keys or SAS tokens, securely and avoid sharing them in public places. Troubleshooting network-related issues can sometimes be complex, so don't hesitate to involve your organization's IT or network administrators if needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.