Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

michael163
Helper II
Helper II

Google sheet data download suddenly stopped working

I use data from google sheets in a number of our apps and as of this morning I got the same error message that they weren't automatically updated in Service. After further inspection (in PBI desktop) I found out that these connection don't download data they are supposed to but some gibberish in html (I attach the picture). I tried the links and when I put them in browser they work correctly as they download what PBI is supposed to but doesn't. I need an urgent help as I am clueless and almost all my business relies on these data downloads, thank you!

michael163_0-1605683620654.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zzajac81

Change the goole sheet file permissions to: anyone with the link.

Then it will work.

Probably google changed the authorization method.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
michael163
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you all for the reply. As the first solution I received was to change the download links, I spent whole day on rewriting them for every app that we have. This worked but it worked only beacuse I did the second step ->

I found out that all that I needed to do was what @zzajac81 was saying, which is only to switch in Share button Get Link section to "Change to anyone with the link".

Until now I don't know the difference between publicizing the link to the web and writing the link in a manner suggested by this thread  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Google-Sheets-Connection-Broken/td-p/1184701. When I found out that I don't have to rewrite whole link I only enabled in google sheet sharing with anyone with the link and it worked as well. So I guess both options will work as long as you have it turned on in google sheet. Thank you everyone for your help!

zzajac81

Change the goole sheet file permissions to: anyone with the link.

Then it will work.

Probably google changed the authorization method.

thank you

trptl
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. I even try to create a fresh dataset, but still the same issue.

michael163
Helper II
Helper II

@amitchandak  any other ideas pls? I noticed that PBI started to treat my google sheet imports as html but they all are csv 

Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents("https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQu....

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@michael163 , Clear Premisison, and cache and try again.

Check any Awareness item on the latest release on -https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

@amitchandak

I checked the Awarness and there is nothing related to the google sheets.

I cleared the cache.

I cleared permissions for google sheets and logged in using anonymous again.

And it still doesnt work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.