Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pbi1908
Helper III
Helper III

Get data from a PDF with a scanned document

Hi i received some pdfs in daily basis with some tables. 

Some of them are within PDF so i can import the information in the Power BI but some of them they have some scanned documents so the normal import method read just empty pages. 

Is there a way to import those data into Power BI?

If it's not possible can you suggest any workaround ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pbi1908 ,

If I understand correctly, it seems that you are trying to connect to PDF file. But it is a scanned PDF file, and Power BI can't read the data successfully from it. You can refer the following links to connect the normal PDF file in Power BI Desktop.

Connect to PDF

Read and Import Data from PDF Files using Power BI

vyiruanmsft_0-1681282566157.png

And for the "special" PDF, please review the last reply in the following thread. And check if we can convert that PDF file to the normal one first by some one tool first. 

Data extraction from Scanned PDF document

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
takolota
Frequent Visitor

If anyone wants to extract data from a PDF or image without training a model for select documents, try this new GPT data extraction method: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Extract-Data-From-PDFs-and-Images-With-G...

It doesn’t require specifying certain document areas, wordings, styles, etc. It just OCRs the file, converts it to a replica text (txt), and passes it to a GPT prompt where you can ask GPT to do whatever you want with the document data.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pbi1908 ,

If I understand correctly, it seems that you are trying to connect to PDF file. But it is a scanned PDF file, and Power BI can't read the data successfully from it. You can refer the following links to connect the normal PDF file in Power BI Desktop.

Connect to PDF

Read and Import Data from PDF Files using Power BI

vyiruanmsft_0-1681282566157.png

And for the "special" PDF, please review the last reply in the following thread. And check if we can convert that PDF file to the normal one first by some one tool first. 

Data extraction from Scanned PDF document

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.