Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shane12311

Error for automatically copying measure from column a to column b

Hi team,

Now in a table, if a table have two columns generated by formula, like MONTH([date]), if I click the column A, and then I click the column B in the table view, the whole formula from column A would be automatically copied to column B and return an error. 

You can use my example to have a check, thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eJE2IK3kTx-NlZt4j09wZSvKChCZrJo4/view?usp=drive_link

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shane12311 ,

I reproduced this issue in the February version of PBI Desktop.

vcgaomsft_0-1711419220024.png

The product group confirmed that this is an issue and a fix is expected to be released in the May release of PBI Desktop. I'll update here with any new news.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly--How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum--China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shane12311 ,

I reproduced this issue in the February version of PBI Desktop.

vcgaomsft_0-1711419220024.png

The product group confirmed that this is an issue and a fix is expected to be released in the May release of PBI Desktop. I'll update here with any new news.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly--How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum--China Power BI User Group

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @Shane12311 
I downloaded the file and added a column with a month.

Ritaf1983_0-1711339844280.png

Where is the error? what is the desired result? Maybe you tried to have another column with the same name...?

Pbix is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ay0ipNP45u68gym-GjwghGwQFSsZau1Z/view?usp=drive_link
I just record what happens in my laptop, please have a look

Hi again 🙂
Yep, the problem is what i mentioned, you are trying to add a column with the name that exists.
This is impossible to have duplicate columns with the same name.
Add the column Month_2 =....
And this will work.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi,

But the problem is that I am not trying to create a new column or copy from old column, when I click column 'Month' and then I click column 'Year", it automatically try to copy all formula from column 'Month' to column 'Year', which I didn't do anything except click. 

@Shane12311 
Yes, I saw now.
And @v-cgao-msft  said that it is a known bug.
I still succeeded in adding the column, so you can work until they fix it.

Thanks, I saw that. And now I have another problem. Now I try to use "Copy Table" in table view to excel, but in excel it shows that I didn't copy anything, which it works yesterday. 

Hi @Shane12311 ,

A new version of PBI Desktop has been released and the copy table issue has been fixed.
Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Hi @Shane12311 ,

I've noticed that some users have given feedback on this issue in the Issue forum. The engineers have started to look into it. As an alternative, try exporting the table using an external tool such as Dax Studio.
March 2024 Breaks Copy Table - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.