Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

PowerBI-Newbie
Helper III
Helper III

Drill-down from Date to Time Histogram

Hi,

I've been searching for a way to drill-down from date to time but in the form of a histogram.

I have the following tables:

ISA Scores:

DateTimeISA Score
01/01/202409:151
01/01/202409:302
01/01/202410:00 
02/02/202411:155

I am using a line graph to count the rows that have scores so on the 1st January 2024 the count will be 2, 2nd January will be 1, etc. And the graph will look like the following:

PowerBINewbie_0-1708358757677.png

The y-axis will show the median scores and x-axis the date, and the tooltip will show the make up of that median number so on 1st January the median is 1.5 and on the 2nd January it's 5. Now when I drill down on the 1st January, I want to be able to see the scores for that day so between 09:00-10:00 there will be 2 markers, one for 09:15 and the other for 09:30 and all the other hours of the day it should be zero. And if I was to drill down to 2nd January then I should only see 1 marker (11:15) which is between 11:00-12:00.

Unfortunately, I'm getting the following:

PowerBINewbie_1-1708359146684.png

A constant straight line across one of the values.

I appreciate any help that I can get.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PowerBI-Newbie 
You can manipulate calculations by hierarchies with the function ISINSCOPE.
For example, if I have a graph of profits by year as a high level and date as a drill and I want to see the median of dates on the year level and daily profits on the drill the formula that i need to use is :

test =
if (ISINSCOPE('financials'[Date]),
sum([Profit]),
MEDIANX(SUMMARIZE('financials',financials[Date],"profits",sum('financials'[Profit])),[profits]))

Result on daily granularity :
Ritaf1983_0-1708486044094.png

and a median of the specific year on drill up:
Ritaf1983_1-1708486085283.png

more information about using inscope is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZY9FyLDPo

pbix with my example is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBI-Newbie 
To work with dates and times you need to create a date table + times table and use with the model.
Please refer to the linked tutorial :
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-time-and-date-dimensions-in-a-power-bi-model

And this great video of how to create a times table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q7v56p192M&t=2s

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @Ritaf1983 , thank you very much for sending across those tutorials, they were very helpful and resolved a major issue that I was having. One of the things that I wanted to do, and perhaps it wasn't clear in my initial post, was to have a breakdown of the values within the same graph. The line graph is showing the median value for each day and when I drill down I want to be able to see how this median value is made up - e.g. if the median value for 20th February 2024 is 4 then when I drill down I should be able to see the values 3, 4 and 5 for example as a breakdown of the median 4 and these to be shown as separate markers on the same graph but I'm not getting that. What I'm getting is the median values at the time level when I drill down. It's probably because I'm using a measure calculating the median but is there a way for the graph to change how it displays the values such that at the highest level it'll show the median when drilled down it shows the values that make up this median value?

Hi @PowerBI-Newbie 
You can manipulate calculations by hierarchies with the function ISINSCOPE.
For example, if I have a graph of profits by year as a high level and date as a drill and I want to see the median of dates on the year level and daily profits on the drill the formula that i need to use is :

test =
if (ISINSCOPE('financials'[Date]),
sum([Profit]),
MEDIANX(SUMMARIZE('financials',financials[Date],"profits",sum('financials'[Profit])),[profits]))

Result on daily granularity :
Ritaf1983_0-1708486044094.png

and a median of the specific year on drill up:
Ritaf1983_1-1708486085283.png

more information about using inscope is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZY9FyLDPo

pbix with my example is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.