Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JohnUnfiro

Data preparation

Hi all, 

I've a very general question here. Just looking for some advice. 

I'm just wondering what the best way to approach a powerbi report. 

Is it always best to prepare the data, summarizing, aggregating it before loading to PowerBI? Or is there any advantage to doing this in powerbi directly? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thank you. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JohnUnfiro In general, yes it is a generally accepted best practice to do the data preparation prior to Power BI and to have it pushed as far up the data preparation chain as possible. The only advantage to doing this in Power BI is if you do not have access to the source systems.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Best practice is generally to make sure your data is clean and transformed in the shape you want it before loading it into your Power BI data model.

Regarding summarizing/aggregating, it's a bit more nuanced. In general, you should load data at a granularity that allows you to slice and dice as needed. That is, you want to avoid prematurely aggregating values that you might want to uncombine later. For really big datasets, aggregations may be needed for performance reasons and considerations get more complicated for everything.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Best practice is generally to make sure your data is clean and transformed in the shape you want it before loading it into your Power BI data model.

Regarding summarizing/aggregating, it's a bit more nuanced. In general, you should load data at a granularity that allows you to slice and dice as needed. That is, you want to avoid prematurely aggregating values that you might want to uncombine later. For really big datasets, aggregations may be needed for performance reasons and considerations get more complicated for everything.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JohnUnfiro In general, yes it is a generally accepted best practice to do the data preparation prior to Power BI and to have it pushed as far up the data preparation chain as possible. The only advantage to doing this in Power BI is if you do not have access to the source systems.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.