Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OverEgged

Creating a new table with measures

Hello!

I have a problem I just can't seem to work my way around.

I have a unpivoted table (Table1) with a list of KPIs (e.g. Sales, Cost1, Cost2, Cost 3). I have another attribute column to tell me whether something is an acutal or a budget, and then a value column. I also have a fourth column with another attribute (e.g. department, so that the KPIs are repeated.

I can therefore create a table that gives me the actuals, the budget, and variance using a measure <-successful so far.

The problem is when I want to build a second table. I have a list of calculations that I want to create (e.g. measure1 = Cost1/Sales) for Actual and Budget. How do I build this in such a way that I can have a table with each KPI down the rows, and Actual, Budget and Variance in the columns?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@OverEgged 

pls try to create a table

11.PNG

and create three measures

Actual = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

Budget = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

variance = [Actual]-[Budget]

12.PNG

pls see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

could you pls provide some sample data and expected output?

Hello! 

Here is my data:

Name Attribute Type Value
Dept 1 Cost1 Actual x
Dept 1 Cost 2 Actual x
Dept 1 Sales1 Actual x
Dept 1 Sales2 Actual x
Dept 1 Cost1 Budget x
Dept 1 Cost 2 Budget x
Dept 1 Sales1 Budget x
Dept 1 Sales2 Budget x
Dept 2 Cost1 Actual x
Dept 2 Cost 2 Actual x
Dept 2 Sales1 Actual x
Dept 2 Sales2 Actual x
Dept 2 Cost1 Budget x
Dept 2 Cost 2 Budget x
Dept 2 Sales1 Budget x
Dept 2 Sales2 Budget x

If KPI1% = Cost1/Sales1

and KPI2% = Cost2/Sales2

My query is how I would build this table:

Actual Budget Variance
KPI1% x x x
KPI2% x x x

@OverEgged 

pls try to create a table

11.PNG

and create three measures

Actual = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

Budget = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

variance = [Actual]-[Budget]

12.PNG

pls see the attachment below

@ryan_mayu perfect! Much appreciated!

you are welcome

Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @OverEgged,

Can you please try the following:

1. Create Measures

Sales Actual = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Sales", Table1[Category] = "Actual")
Sales Budget = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Sales", Table1[Category] = "Budget")
Cost1 Actual = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Cost1", Table1[Category] = "Actual")
Cost1 Budget = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Cost1", Table1[Category] = "Budget")

Ratio Measures

Measure1 Actual = DIVIDE([Cost1 Actual], [Sales Actual])
Measure1 Budget = DIVIDE([Cost1 Budget], [Sales Budget])

Variance Measures

Measure1 Variance = [Measure1 Actual] - [Measure1 Budget]

2. Create KPI Table

KPI Table = 
DATATABLE(
    "KPI", STRING,
    "Actual", DOUBLE,
    "Budget", DOUBLE,
    "Variance", DOUBLE,
    {
        {"Measure1", [Measure1 Actual], [Measure1 Budget], [Measure1 Variance]},
        {"Measure2", [Measure2 Actual], [Measure2 Budget], [Measure2 Variance]}
    }
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Thanks @Sahir_Maharaj , I'm trying your solution, but I'm getting the error: "The tuple at index '1' from the table definition of the DATATABLE function does not have a constant expression in the column at index '2'."

I'm trying to troubleshoot this now

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.