Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

OverEgged
Regular Visitor

Creating a new table with measures

Hello!

I have a problem I just can't seem to work my way around.

I have a unpivoted table (Table1) with a list of KPIs (e.g. Sales, Cost1, Cost2, Cost 3). I have another attribute column to tell me whether something is an acutal or a budget, and then a value column. I also have a fourth column with another attribute (e.g. department, so that the KPIs are repeated.

I can therefore create a table that gives me the actuals, the budget, and variance using a measure <-successful so far.

The problem is when I want to build a second table. I have a list of calculations that I want to create (e.g. measure1 = Cost1/Sales) for Actual and Budget. How do I build this in such a way that I can have a table with each KPI down the rows, and Actual, Budget and Variance in the columns?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@OverEgged 

pls try to create a table

11.PNG

and create three measures

Actual = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

Budget = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

variance = [Actual]-[Budget]

12.PNG

pls see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

could you pls provide some sample data and expected output?

Hello! 

Here is my data:

Name Attribute Type Value
Dept 1 Cost1 Actual x
Dept 1 Cost 2 Actual x
Dept 1 Sales1 Actual x
Dept 1 Sales2 Actual x
Dept 1 Cost1 Budget x
Dept 1 Cost 2 Budget x
Dept 1 Sales1 Budget x
Dept 1 Sales2 Budget x
Dept 2 Cost1 Actual x
Dept 2 Cost 2 Actual x
Dept 2 Sales1 Actual x
Dept 2 Sales2 Actual x
Dept 2 Cost1 Budget x
Dept 2 Cost 2 Budget x
Dept 2 Sales1 Budget x
Dept 2 Sales2 Budget x

If KPI1% = Cost1/Sales1

and KPI2% = Cost2/Sales2

My query is how I would build this table:

Actual Budget Variance
KPI1% x x x
KPI2% x x x

@OverEgged 

pls try to create a table

11.PNG

and create three measures

Actual = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Actual"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

Budget = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])="KPI1", CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost1"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales1")),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Cost 2"))/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Type]="Budget"&&'Table'[Attribute]="Sales2")))

variance = [Actual]-[Budget]

12.PNG

pls see the attachment below

@ryan_mayu perfect! Much appreciated!

you are welcome

Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hello @OverEgged,

Can you please try the following:

1. Create Measures

Sales Actual = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Sales", Table1[Category] = "Actual")
Sales Budget = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Sales", Table1[Category] = "Budget")
Cost1 Actual = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Cost1", Table1[Category] = "Actual")
Cost1 Budget = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), Table1[KPI] = "Cost1", Table1[Category] = "Budget")

Ratio Measures

Measure1 Actual = DIVIDE([Cost1 Actual], [Sales Actual])
Measure1 Budget = DIVIDE([Cost1 Budget], [Sales Budget])

Variance Measures

Measure1 Variance = [Measure1 Actual] - [Measure1 Budget]

2. Create KPI Table

KPI Table = 
DATATABLE(
    "KPI", STRING,
    "Actual", DOUBLE,
    "Budget", DOUBLE,
    "Variance", DOUBLE,
    {
        {"Measure1", [Measure1 Actual], [Measure1 Budget], [Measure1 Variance]},
        {"Measure2", [Measure2 Actual], [Measure2 Budget], [Measure2 Variance]}
    }
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

Thanks @Sahir_Maharaj , I'm trying your solution, but I'm getting the error: "The tuple at index '1' from the table definition of the DATATABLE function does not have a constant expression in the column at index '2'."

I'm trying to troubleshoot this now

Hello Good afternoon, I don't know if you could find the error, however I think I could make use of the join and row function to create the table with the KPI's my solution would be:

Table_KPI=

UNION (

ROW("Aggregation","KPI_1","value",CALCULATE(Expression)),

ROW("Aggregation","KPI_2","value",CALCULATE(Expression))

)

This problem caught my attention since I am also trying to get this out and, after almost 8 hours, I found a solution that in my opinion is not very efficient but intuitive. Please let me know if this worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.