Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AutoJL
Helper I
Helper I

Controlling Visualizations fields with slicer

Hi!

I am stuck with something that either is very easy ( and im just overthinking it ) or is flat out imposible ( and I just though that could be done because it is similar to other requests)

I have a table that compiles both the customer names of my customers as well as the specific system Serial number they have installed. 

Now I have created a report with a couple of pages that comes from 2 main data sources, one has the info linked to the serial number and the other to the customer name. With this table I mentioned before I can totally navigate all the visualizations with no issues and everything works just fine.... But I though "What if I bring it to the next level?" And my idea was to have a slicer where you can chose either "Serial number" or "Customer name" and then the visualizations would use said selection (I know one workaround for this is simply using the option that is not in the visualization currently in the "tooltip" field so it gets displayed when people hover above whatever visual it is but I think the other option is cleaner).

I believe there has to be something like the selectedvalue-switch that can be used with measures but since I am not using measures ( its just the 2 raw columns of my table) I keep coming up with DAX errors when trying to implement this method.

What I get is "A single value for column 'Customer Name' in table 'Customer Names - SN' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

Any tips or ideas on how to do this? (Or first of, Can it be done?)

Many thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@AutoJL 

What you are describing sounds like Filed Parameters.  You want to set it up so you can display either the Customer or the Serial Number on the rows of a table for example.

jdbuchanan71_0-1689890880996.png

In my example I have one called "Category Selection"

I can show any mix of the following columns using a slicer

"Interface Name"
"Client Name"
"Vendor Name"
"Step Desc"
"FileKey Status"
"Error Type"

jdbuchanan71_1-1689891122523.png

When I change the selection in the slicer the displayed column changes.

Here is a video on the functionality.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-field-parameters

View solution in original post

miTutorials
Super User
Super User

See my detailed tutorial on this topic, you will be able to choose which columns to display via the slicer.

New Feature: Slicer to choose which columns to display on chart using Fields Parameter in PowerBI - ...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AutoJL
Helper I
Helper I

Glad to see its just my bad memory 😂. This sw has so many features that I keep struggling to remember everything. So lucky there is always this amazing community to help out!.

Many thanks to both @jdbuchanan71  and @miTutorials  for the super fast and accurate answers!

miTutorials
Super User
Super User

See my detailed tutorial on this topic, you will be able to choose which columns to display via the slicer.

New Feature: Slicer to choose which columns to display on chart using Fields Parameter in PowerBI - ...

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@AutoJL 

What you are describing sounds like Filed Parameters.  You want to set it up so you can display either the Customer or the Serial Number on the rows of a table for example.

jdbuchanan71_0-1689890880996.png

In my example I have one called "Category Selection"

I can show any mix of the following columns using a slicer

"Interface Name"
"Client Name"
"Vendor Name"
"Step Desc"
"FileKey Status"
"Error Type"

jdbuchanan71_1-1689891122523.png

When I change the selection in the slicer the displayed column changes.

Here is a video on the functionality.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-field-parameters

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.