Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Locc
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to DB after Windows Update

I have a few reports that are no longer working after a Windows Update.

When I try to refresh the reports I get this error:

Oracle: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

My reports are fairly simple, I import data from an Oracle DB and I enter a user/pass and then select the data I want to import. I have another computer which is setup identically. That pc did not get the update and it continues to work just fine. I don't have any "query" past what can be done in PBi with import options.

I've read a variety of topics on this error and most of those seem to not apply to me and I'm really at a loss of what steps to try next.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
v-weiyan1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Locc ,

The error ORA-12154 typically indicates that the Oracle Client on your machine is unable to resolve the database service name specified in your connection settings.

You can visit the following portal to see if the resolutions mentioned work for you:

ORA-12154 - Database Error Messages (oracle.com)

I also found a similar post, please refer to it and see if it helps you.

Solved: Oracle: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the conne... - Microsoft Fabric Community

If the above solutions do not resolve the issue, please consider reinstalling the Oracle Client software on the affected machine.

Best Regards,
Yulia Yan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

From the first link, everything on that checklist seems to be correct.

This did work prior to the windows update, so I'm not sure what could have broke it.

Did you ever get resolution? I have the exact same issue and circumstances.
Locc
Frequent Visitor

I have not figured out a resolution yet. I am just working around it through another PC that does not have the problem. That option will not be viable forever though, so hopefully I get it to work. Otherwise I will reinstall Windows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.