Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kcdistiller
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Running Total Using Input from Another Calculation (Measure)

There are many solutions to calculate a running total based on dates or counts within a table, but I have not found a way to create a running total measure using input from another measure. Consider the following visualization table:

Column AColumn BColumn CColumn D
Unique_ID (table data)Medication (table data)Percent_Contributed (calculated)Percent_Running_Total (desired calculation: same row, column C + prior row, column D)
7980Penicillin G17.7717.77
723Amoxicillin5.7923.56
2670Codeine4.2327.79
1191Aspirin2.4930.28
10831SMZ/TMP2.4732.75
7052Morphine2.3735.12

Columns A and B are text fields identifying unique items. Column C is a measure resulting from a calculated numerator and denominator [(amount for unique entry/amount for all unique entries) * 100]. 

I'm trying to use a measure to populate Column D in a visualization table with a running total using info from Column C, but all methods appear to rely on info in the data table(s).

5 REPLIES 5
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @kcdistiller

It is possible to do it without a calendar table also.

I am assuming your UniqueID ( Column A) and Medication Data ( Column B) are coming from the same table.

Try this for column D , where you need the running total of column C

Define a measure RunningTotC 

RunningTotC =  Calculate([measureCoumnC],
                                                        FIlter(

ALL(SourceDataTable),
                                                                          (SourceDataTable[ColumnA])<=MAX(SourceDataTable[CoulmnA])
                                                                  )

)

The highlighted area above can also be changed to take a concatenation of Column A and Column B

as 

( SourceDataTable[ColumnA]&"-"&SourceData[ColumnB]<=MAX(SourceDataTable[ColumnA]&"-"&SourceData[ColumnB])

If this works for you please accept it as a solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Your suggestion calculates something, but not what is expected. If there is a way to use 'EARLIER' in place of 'MAX' in your recommended code, I think it would work. However, I get an error saying that "'EARLIER' refers to a row context which dosen't exist'. This is likely due to 'Percentage' being a measure, not an actual value in a table. If I change the measure to a calculated column, I lose the ability to update the value based on slicers. Ideally, the code would probably look like

RunningTotC = CALCULATE([Percentage],Filter(ALL('My Table'),('My Table'[Percentage])>=EARLIER('My Table'[Percentage])))

where 'Percentage' is the result of the measure in Column C, but 'EARLIER' does not work with measures.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

hi @kcdistiller

In terms of your data, does it have any dates associated with it?

If you have got a date, then you can easily create an interim calculated measure which will be the previous dates value.

NOTE: You will need a date table and create a relationship between the tables for this to work.

The example below is getting the values for the Previous Day.

Previous Row Data = 
CALCULATE (
    [Actuals],
        PARALLELPERIOD ( 'Date'[Calendar Date], -1, DAY ),
    )

And then your running total could be [Column D] + [Previous Row Data]

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Most solutions that I've found use dates, but there are no dates associated with my data.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @kcdistiller

Can you post sample data on oneDrive or Drop box to arrive ata solution.

Also post the formula you have used for measure ColumnC

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.