Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Anyone else finding the newer updates to cause PBI desktop crashing frequently?

I've been noticing that since the Jan update Power BI desktop crashes a lot. Especially when opening a report created in a previous version for the first time. And if I leave a report open for too long without working on it, it usually throws an out of memory error when I try to get back on it. I have 16 gigs of RAM so memory should not be an issue. I don't have any other resource intensive programs open on my work computer either. PowerBI is my main tool at work. Just looking to see if anyone else has had this same experience since the new versions.

8 REPLIES 8
rjwijnen
Frequent Visitor

Did you get '0xc0000005' errors? If so, i was experiencing the same since mid January. Last week i did a reset of windows because of this, since then it works without a problem. Re-installing PowerBI did not help..

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yes I've had those ones too. However becasue the OS on my computer is managed by our infrastructure team, doing a system reset is not exactly straightforward and there will be operational downtime for me.

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Greg_Deckler  @HewBR ,thanks for the quick reply, I'll add to it.

Hi @pborah ,

Regarding your question, I haven't encountered any crashes in my daily use for the time being. You mentioned that you are crashing when you use a new version of Power BI Desktop to open a file created by a historical version of Power BI Desktop, you can try to roll back the version, for more details refer to the following article:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d...

Or you can try updating to the latest version:

Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,
Wenbin Zhou
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks @v-zhouwen-msft , I have the latest version installed however the issue persists. If i roll back to an older version from last year, will my reports created in the new version still open?

Hi,@pborah

This may cause compatibility issues, it is recommended that you back up the report, and you can use the following article to determine if the report uses features that are not supported by the previous version:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

HewBR
Frequent Visitor

The Version: 2.127.1080.0 64-bit (March 2024) seems stable, so far.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have the March version. I update more or less every month. This issue has been happening since January.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pborah Yep, 100% although I would go back to December of 2023.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.