Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimoRiikonen
Advocate III
Advocate III

Dataflow::Can't save content to Lakehouse if I filter it first with date

I wish to:

1) Copy data from Lakehouse bronze layer to the same Lakehouse silver layer

2) Remove extra columns

3) Only copy today's and yesterday's data

First two steps work fine, but when I add the third step, then I get an error.

Silver table:

TimoRiikonen_0-1713783818160.png

Code to create yesterday's date:

Date.AddDays( Date.From( DateTime.LocalNow() ), -1)

Result is 4/21/2024 (or 4/12/2024), so the date is in US-en format, same as in Lakehouse.

Code to do the data copying:

let
  Source = Lakehouse.Contents([]),
  #"Navigation 1" = Source{[workspaceId = "8466c1bc-e477-415e-8b77-a714cd043631"]}[Data],
  #"Navigation 2" = #"Navigation 1"{[lakehouseId = "f236f3df-1701-4605-842d-415b6cb3ba37"]}[Data],
  #"Navigation 3" = #"Navigation 2"{[Id = "ServiceRequest", ItemKind = "Table"]}[Data],
  #"Removed other columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Navigation 3", {"Tilaus_id", "Pyynnön_alatyyppi", "Pyyntötyyppi", "Pyyntötyyppi_id", "Tilaus", "Updated"}),
  #"Changed column type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed other columns", {{"Updated", type date}}),
  #"Filtered rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed column type", each [Updated] >= MinUpdateDate)
in
  #"Filtered rows"

When I refresh my data, everything works still fine:

TimoRiikonen_1-1713784079731.png

Publish over new or existing, same result:

TimoRiikonen_2-1713784181804.png

After I publish it, I get this error:

TimoRiikonen_3-1713784329206.png

ServiceRequest_WriteToDataDestination: Mashup Exception Expression Error Couldn't refresh the entity because of an issue with the mashup document MashupException.Error: Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator < to types Table and Date. Details: Reason = Expression.Error;Operator = <;Left = error "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.ValueException: [Expression.Error] Value was not specified.#(cr)#(lf)   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ValueCreator.CreateValueForThrow(IThrowExpression throwExpr)#(cr)#(lf)   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ValueCreator.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.<CreateValueForRecord>b__0(Int32 index)#(cr)#(lf)   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.DemandRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)#(cr)#(lf)   at Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ProviderCommon.MashupResource.TryGetValue(Func`1 getValue, IValue& value, String& errorMessage)#(cr)#(lf)Record";Right = 4/17/2024 12:00:00 AM;Microsoft.Data.Mashup.Error.Context = User

If I remove the last filter, then everything works as it should (I had -10, not -1 so ignore the date):

TimoRiikonen_4-1713784998499.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Upon further inspection of the error, my suspicion is correct. The query MinUpdateDate is more than likely set to be staged which causes the result of the query to be set to a table. Then you're trying to use that table value as a filter to a column that expects a date and that's why the error displays that specific error message.

The solution is to disable the staging from the MinUpdateDate query.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TimoRiikonen
Advocate III
Advocate III

I tested filtering on ID field and there was no issues then.

miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Is your query that calculate the date set to be staged? If yes, please disable staging for it and try running the dataflow again 

Upon further inspection of the error, my suspicion is correct. The query MinUpdateDate is more than likely set to be staged which causes the result of the query to be set to a table. Then you're trying to use that table value as a filter to a column that expects a date and that's why the error displays that specific error message.

The solution is to disable the staging from the MinUpdateDate query.

Hello Miguel,

You were correct.

Table was not staged, but the parameter was.

After removing this, it is working again.

Thank you!

Hi @TimoRiikonen 

Glad that you query got resolved.
Please continue using Fabric Community for further queries.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors