Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

BUG::DATETIME TYPE::VALUES OK IN DF BUT ALL NULL IN LAKEHOUSE

CONTEXT:

DFg2 uses M to generate this Dim table (DimTime):

Screenshot 2024-05-06 124659.jpg

As you can see, the following columns of type DATETIME contain the correct values: Hour, Quarter Hour, Next Hour, Next Quarter Hour, Hour Number (type NUMBER or INTEGER, BIGINT in LH), Period of Day (type TEXT).

These columns are explicitly converted to type DATETIME because of the limitation of lakehouse that do not handle the TIME data type. 

The DFg2 is then published to the LH:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 125053.jpg

ISSUE:

Everything was fine until today I open the LH SQL endpoint and take a look at DimTime table and find this:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 125337.jpg

As you can see, the columns now all (except Time and Hour columns even though they are of the same type!) show up as having null values, even the column of type TEXT!!! 

Just to reiterate:  After creating the DFg2 and testing it, so making sure it worked, the values in the LH for these columns were not null. 

Seriously guys, what on earth is going on here???

Here is the table schema:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 130050.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I deleted the dim table, re-published the DFg2 using New table instead of existing table (as I did the first time), and all columns showed up again as having non-null values in the LH.  Re-opened the DFg2 to change New table option to Existing table in Data destination.

So another one of these strange transient bugs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

This is getting more interesting by the minute!  As you can see, after I deleted the DimTime table from the LH, and tried to re-publish the DFg2, the Choose destination settings dialog has these very same columns unselected by default, even thought the data types of the datetime cols are the same types as the cols that are auto selected.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 133525.jpg

Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

From the DFg2, when choosing the Data destination, we can see that these columns, although not null in the DF, have been nulled in the Data destination dialog, which is a new occurrence as, like I said before, it used to work fine before today:

Screenshot 2024-05-06 132916.jpg

Hi @Element115 

Thanks for using Fabric Community.

Apologies for the issue you have been facing. For better understanding the issue I will request you to please go ahead with Microsoft support on this. 
https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/en-US/support/

After creating the ticket please provide the details here. This would help us in internal tracking.
Thanks

I deleted the dim table, re-published the DFg2 using New table instead of existing table (as I did the first time), and all columns showed up again as having non-null values in the LH.  Re-opened the DFg2 to change New table option to Existing table in Data destination.

So another one of these strange transient bugs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.