Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuillermoBCN
Regular Visitor

Staging for copying data from external source to fabric

Hello experts,

I need your assistance on documentation on how to build a staging for a data ingestion from a On Premise database (SAP HANA type) to Fabric. With HANA views it is possible to create dataflows without the need for Staging, but we want to access database tables without using views, and for that, in copy activity, the enable staging flag is mandatory as HANA is external.

Since on the options of staging i see i can choose between lakehouse and blob storage, i decided to use the latter since we have an Azure resource group with storage account and i have created a container for this activity. 

Is there some documentation we could use for this purpose? i.e., what configurations will our Basis team to perform on the Azure side. As i was unable to use my Service principal credentials i would assume that service principals needs some permissions or roles on working with Azure blob storage.

Thanks in advance!

Guillermo

4 REPLIES 4
v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GuillermoBCN ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
"Supporting OneLake as staging for on-premise to DW is on the roadmap. In the mean time, it's better to simply load to a Lakehouse in the same workspace as the Warehouse. Those lakehouse tables will be accessable from the SQL endpoint, and you can load from there to the Warehouse if you want to."

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queries.

Hi @GuillermoBCN 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query was answered.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

Thanks

Hi @GuillermoBCN ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query was answered.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@GuillermoBCN , We have been using SAP HANA for some time and recently, I was able to uncheck the staging option in dataflow gen2. Also, the pipeline has a connector with has HANA connector and I have not used staging for that 

amitchandak_0-1713843894657.png

amitchandak_1-1713843950249.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors