Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

igorkk
Frequent Visitor

Should one git repo correspond to one workspace?

Hi all,

I'm doing a project which involves medallion architecture concept. So I have 3 workspaces Gold, Silver and Bronze. 
I see in DevOps that I can link one unique branch (development or main e.g.) to that repo. So I can't have multiple same branches based on the workspace within a repository.

Should I create 3 repos so I could have development and main branches for each layer (gold, silver and bronze)
Are there any other approaches for medallion architecture which will involve having one repo with the possibility to have development and main branches based on the workspaces (gold, silver, bronze)?

5 REPLIES 5
MartinMason
Resolver I
Resolver I

I would strongly recommend using a single repository. On the Git Integration tab of Workspace Settings there exists a Git Folder property. Use that property to differentiate between the Bronze, Silver, and Gold workspaces. We have our entire Power BI tenant, all of our Power BI workspaces, integrated into a single Git repository using that approach.

To promote to Test/Prod, I would then leverage Deployment Pipelines though there are some Fabric items that are not yet integrated with Git.

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @igorkk 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this. We will update you once we hear back from them.
Thanks 

Hi @igorkk 
For managing branches in Azure DevOps for different workspaces, there are a few approaches you could consider:

Multiple Repositories:
You could create separate repositories for each workspace (Gold, Silver, Bronze). Each repository could have its own development and main branches. This approach provides clear separation and isolation between the workspaces.

Single Repository with Branching Strategy: You could use a single repository with a well-defined branching strategy. For example, you could have a main branch and then create separate branches for each workspace. Each workspace branch could then have its own development and main branches. This approach requires careful management of branches and merges but keeps everything within a single repository.

Workspaces in Azure DevOps: Azure DevOps allows you to create and manage multiple workspaces. You can isolate and switch among the changes you’re making in different branches. This could be another way to manage your workspaces in Microsoft Fabric.
Create and work with workspaces - Azure Repos | Microsoft Learn
https://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi @igorkk 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Hi @igorkk 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors