Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Email on Error in Pipeline

I've built a pipeline that runs two notebooks and I'm wanting it to email on failure.

It looks like:

bcdobbs_0-1701769113553.png

With the Send Error Email connected on the fail nodes.

However it never triggers the outlook task:

bcdobbs_1-1701769174851.png

bcdobbs_2-1701769205113.png

Any suggestion on what I'm doing wrong or is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks

Ben

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes @NandanHegde got it.

vgchennamsft_0-1701787396795.png

It looks like we don't have any issue with data factory, it is considered as a AND operator, not a OR operator.

@bcdobbs  I was able to trigger an email by creating a pipeline design like above.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
S_Rahlf
Regular Visitor

I was checking that out myself before stumbling upon this community thread as it is "an old friend from data factory" -> all "inbound" constraints are combined AND so a mulitple "on failure" from different activities will never run.

Our workaround, as a "sequence container" is also not available, is to use a sub pipeline returning in case of a failure in any activity a "on failure" from the "invoke pipeline" activity or as kind of "dirty hack" an "if condition" as sequence having a "always true" condition and grouping activites...

S_Rahlf_0-1713455713978.png

NandanHegde
Super User
Super User

Hey,

You right fully identified the cause that the email would be triggered only if both the notebook activities would fail as the expressions are AND scenario and that would never occur as the 2nd notebook would be trigerred only with the success of the 1st one.

So as a solution, you can have seperate notifications per activity but there is only a limitaion of 40 activities per pipeline.

So below blog though ADF related would have the same concpets for Fabric:

https://datasharkx.wordpress.com/2021/08/19/error-logging-and-the-art-of-avoiding-redundant-activiti...

which would be a cleaner way

Yes @NandanHegde got it.

vgchennamsft_0-1701787396795.png

It looks like we don't have any issue with data factory, it is considered as a AND operator, not a OR operator.

@bcdobbs  I was able to trigger an email by creating a pipeline design like above.

Hi @bcdobbs ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query was answered. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

Hi @bcdobbs ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query was answered. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

hey @bcdobbs 

Are there any queries w.r.t creating a flow within the pipelines ?

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bcdobbs ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.

As I tried to repro your scenario I have noticed this.

Case 1: Every thing worked well

vgchennamsft_2-1701771532862.png

Case 2: I can find the same issue you are facing

vgchennamsft_3-1701771666679.png

For time being try to link to only one Notebook Activity on failure.

In meantime I will check with internal to get some information on this behaviour.

Thank you

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Having looked at the JSON for the pipeline I now realise the way I'd built it would only trigger an error if both notebooks failed which couldn't happen in that setup.

I've added separate notification blocks and it now works.

bcdobbs_0-1701770214536.png

Is there however a cleaner way of doing this? Eg trigger an email on any failure anywhere in the pipeline?

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors