Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Mathan1787
Helper I
Helper I

Datapipeline-LookUp-Lakehouse

Hi,

Look up activty in data pipeline has query option only for external data store type (for azure sql database) but when i select the delta table i cant able to query. what are the other option we could use it to run a query against lakehouse tables in pipeline.

7 REPLIES 7
Mathan1787
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks sql end point worked in this case. it would be great to have a query option for lakehouse.

GraceGu
Employee
Employee

DennesTorres
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi,

Query the lakehouse is possible. The lookup activity has two options : Workspace and External.

The workspace option allow you to query the lakehouse.

DennesTorres_0-1691787604679.png

What seems to be a limitation, and may be you could add this into the "Ideas" area, is that "Workspace" requires the lakehouse to be in the same workspace as the pipeline. 

In some cases, if you would like to access a different lakehouse, but you have one in the same workspace, maybe you could create a view in the one on the same workspace making a query to the external one?

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Hi,

One possible workaround is to use a SQL Database connection and point to the lakehouse SQL Endpoint. It's not a perfect solution, but probably will work.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Even the cross workspace limitation should be addressable by creating a shortcut to the remote lakehouse, in the current workspace.

Hi,

This would only work if there is a lakehouse in both workspaces and it would only work as a source, not as a destination.

I understand that if I would like to break down the pipelines in different workspaces for organization purposes, I couldn't.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

You basically have a LH1 in Workspace1, and Pipeline with Lookup activity in Workspace2. Can you create a LH2 in Workspace2, which points to the LH1 in Workspace1, and use lookup activity against LH2 ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors