Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amaaiia
Helper V
Helper V

Row level access for Lakehouse tables

Is it possible to create data access rules in a Lakehouse table that is going to be consumed by Power BI? If I have a table with user data with one of the columns user_id, which by architecture I need to be Lakehouse and not Warehouse, and I want that the user who enters the PBI report can only consult the data of his user, is there any way to restrict that access with data access rules in the Lakehouse table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If you want to use Direct Lake mode Power BI semantic model, you can set up the Row-Level Security (RLS) using an external tool like Tabular Editor or SSMS. This is shown in this YouTube video and written about in this blog post. I think this will be possible to set up directly in Fabric (without external tool) in the future.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @amaaiia 

I think you have some options:

• If you want to use Import mode Power BI semantic model, you can set up the Row-Level Security (RLS) in the Import mode Power BI semantic model. For me, this would be the easiest way to implement RLS. This is the traditional way of setting up RLS in Power BI, and can be made simple or more complex.
    Here are some videos which touch upon that:   Guy in a Cube           Radacad
    And some blog posts:    Static RLS             Dynamic RLS

• If you want to use Direct Lake mode Power BI semantic model, you can set up the Row-Level Security (RLS) using an external tool like Tabular Editor or SSMS. This is shown in this YouTube video and written about in this blog post. I think this will be possible to set up directly in Fabric (without external tool) in the future.

• If you want to use DirectQuery mode (maybe not ideal for performance), you can set up Row-Level Security (RLS) in the SQL Analytics Endpoint. This is shown in a part of the YouTube video in the previous reply.
v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amaaiia 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

Yes, it is possible to create data access rules in Microsoft Fabric to restrict access to user data in a Lakehouse table consumed by Power BI. Please refer to the video that explains this topic in detail, including workarounds for limiting access to specific user data in Power BI reports. This video demonstrates a step-by-step approach to implementing data access rules, specifically addressing the use case you mentioned. 

You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdmPjZAV9I8.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know in case if you have any further questions.

Thanks.

I'm using DirectLake mode, as I've read this is just for DirectQuery mode. Is it an available solution integrated in Fabric for DirectLake mode?

frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If you want to use Direct Lake mode Power BI semantic model, you can set up the Row-Level Security (RLS) using an external tool like Tabular Editor or SSMS. This is shown in this YouTube video and written about in this blog post. I think this will be possible to set up directly in Fabric (without external tool) in the future.

Hi @amaaiia 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.
In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

Thanks.

Hi @amaaiia 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
If you have any question relating to the current thread, please do let us know and we will try out best to help you.
In case if you have any other question on a different issue, we request you to open a new thread.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.